Admin 10.22.18 Minutes

Attending:

Catherine Abed, Dimuthu Tilakaratne, Jim Pierce, Montanee Wongchinsri, Anthony Marino, Dale Rush, Annabelle Clarke, Monica Tith, Stacie McCloud Williams, Tony Kerber, Linda Naru, Aaron Rosenthal, Cynthia Cobb, Eric McMinoway, Nilton Garcia, Therese Molina, Alex Phistry, Kathleen Engstrom, Colleen Kehoe, Brian Shim, Mike Harner, Stephanie Dable, Gloria Keeley

  • ITPC Update
    • My UI Financials Phase Two
      • Suggested that this project has been closed and performance issues are being looked at
    • Employee Training
      • Mentioned that ethics training is being rolled out
      • Suggested it was off to a rough start, but work is being done with a vendor to ensure the infrastructure can support the load
      • Noted that the ethics office re-opened the ethics training and have progressed nicely
      • Suggested that the ethics office I still working with other areas and looking at other types of training to add in
      • Suggested that the ethics office is looking to add more types of training after the first of the year
      • Noted that OBFS is currently utilizing the training for their development program, and payroll and benefits are looking to utilize that system as well
    • My UI Financials Phase 3
      • A slight change in scope was mentioned
      • Suggested that a tableau dashboard will be added
  • New Business
    • University-wide Ticketing System
      • Noted that the ticketing systems have been being updated and evaluated
      • It was asked if the committee saw any potential benefits for a university system-wide ticketing system
      • A survey that went out to all IT contacts which consisted of which systems are being used, the status quo, etc. was mentioned
      • Suggested that the feedback from that survey is being evaluated to determine if needs are being met or not
      • Committee members indicated their units utilizing a ticketing system
      • Discussion on ticketing systems within and outside of IT needs, what they are being used for, etc.
      • Suggested that this new system-wide ticketing system will hopefully be used for both IT and non-IT needs, but for now the primary focus and representation is on IT organizations
      • Noted that the timeline goal is to have a substantial presentation for the IT Leadership team by December
    • OBFS Reporting Subcommittee Presentation
      • An overview of this subcommittee and the work they have been doing was presented
      • Noted that this group is focused on sharing information and is composed of volunteers from a wide variety of units
      • Suggested that this subcommittee has created a website that is linked to the OBFS site and what is included on it was gone over
      • Suggested that access to reports can be found on their website or through EDDIE
      • Discussion on what can be found on the reporting subcommittee’s website versus EDDIE
      • Discussion on reports
      • Mentioned that this effort is in collaboration with the AITS Decision Support
      • Mentioned that this group created a moderated listserv
      • Suggested that the goal is to help foster peer-based discussions, collaborations, resource sharing between colleges and departments, and sharing of best practices, tips, and tricks
      • Noted that this group conducted a needs-assessment survey and the results were shared
      • The FY18 accomplishments of this group were gone over
      • Goals for FY19 were gone over, which included adding new reports and updating existing reports
      • Discussion on developing standard reports, types of reports and data sharing
    • Advanced Analytics Platform
      • A presentation which mentioned an approved draft ITPC proposal was shared
      • Suggested that the approved proposal will go to the main ITPC for approval by December
      • Noted that the university currently has great reporting and visualization solutions
      • The progression from initial reporting to advanced analytics was gone over
      • The desire for a business-friendly model was stressed
      • Suggested that some ways to make differences are by building a shared, easily accessible model, becoming aligned with the strategic framework, and improving the overall student experience
      • Suggested that the ultimate objective is to ensure long-term financial sustainability
      • Example use cases were gone over
  • Old Business
    • Banner 9 Update
      • A Banner 9 upgrade in effect as of October 14th was mentioned
      • Noted that AITS is still adding things to their Banner web page and training is still available
      • Suggested that Banner 9 works easily, though there were minor issues that are being fixed
      • It was asked who is responsible for making sure trainings and jobs are updated
      • Suggested that OBFS is handling many issues on the finance side
      • It was asked which process is being used to determine what will be created using the tableau dashboard
      • A previously built tableau dashboard was mentioned
      • It was suggested that the idea is to imbed the previous dashboard into My UI Financials
    • Source to Pay
      • Work being done to impose implementation strategies and the desire to pursue dedicated resources were mentioned

Research 10.04.18 Minutes

Attending:

Andy Boyd; Colleen Kehoe; Jacqueline Berger; Andy Johnson; Teresa Johnston; Bob Sandusky; Lindsey McQuade; Kim Lawless; Sandy De Groote; Ping-Shou Zhong; Alex Phistry; Himanshu Sharma; Karen Dunn Lopez; David DuBois

  • Discussion Items
    • Faculty Scholarship Database Software
      • Mentioned that the contract was signed yesterday, and the group will be talking with a vendor about what the timeline should be
      • A short presentation on the background of this software was given, noting that the premise for this tool included looking for a way to aggregate publications by faculty
      • Suggested that work will be done with a vendor to provide training
      • Discussion on what interface the software will use, NCBI guidelines, and the types of publication that will be captured by this software
    • NIH S10 Proposal
      • The presentation given to the collaborators was given, along with effort gone into the grant
      • What SHIELD is and how it can be used, noting that this instrument is for faster networks, was explained
      • The types of research being done that require the NIH grant, noting that ACER will be the governing group, were listed
      • Discussion on the rate structure for SHIELD and how it will be sustained
  • Subcommittees
    • Institutional Stewardship of Data
      • A desire to bring policy proposals back to the Research Committee for comment in a way that could be accurately communicated to researchers was mentioned
    • ACER
      • A brief background on ACER was given, noting the highlights of HPC growth over the past five years
      • The impact HPC has had on the university, along with funding issues and future funding options, were mentioned
  • Old Business
    • HUBzero
      • An update will be given at the next meeting
    • Cambridge Structural Database
      • Getting in contact with the providers of the Cambridge Structural Database for more information was suggested
  • New Business
    • Research Needs for EPIC Electronic Health Records
      • Suggested that the university is switching from SERNER to EPIC
      • Suggested that the committee reach out with their research needs that are not currently being met so they can be articulated to EPIC
      • Challenges had by other vendors were mentioned, noting that those concerns/issues have been resolved
    • Email Sent to OVCR Inviting to Committee Will Follow-Up
      • An email sent to the OVCR inviting her to attend a future Research committee meeting was mentioned
      • The committee chair is also in the process of recruiting new committee members for vacant bylaw roles

Education 10.03.18 Minutes

Attending:

Michael Scott; Kat Kernick; Elizabeth Romero; Marieke Schoen; Cathy Bimmerle; Kee Chan; Janette Maldonado; Martina Bode; John Fyfe; Michael Siciliano; Anne Armstrong; Kim Rivas; Mike Kamowski; Alana Steffen; Chris Mitchell; Re-Jin Guo; Max Anderson; Jon Art; Katie Herrick

  • Subcommittee Reports
    • LMS Governance Board
      • The July LMS Governance Board report was shared, suggesting that this report reflects the amount of tickets resolved for that month, along with a summary for the entire AY18 fiscal year and the efforts being done to improve the use of the LMS
      • It was clarified that the report only accounts for the tickets and tools that are interfaced through Blackboard
      • Discussion on what aspects, such as improved training and system improvements, may have contributed to the reduced number of tickets
      • Communications sent out for a Blackboard Ultra pilot were mentioned
      • It was noted that the pilot has just started and users have started creating courses within the new system
      • Suggested that this ongoing process should be expecting feedback within the next few months
      • It was mentioned that email communications with information on ACCC’s upcoming maintenance window will be sent out
      • Discussion on ShareStream, other possible streaming solutions, and potential triggers on the Blackboard homepage
    • Printing and Sustainability
      • An idea discussed over the summer to potentially conduct interviews with students who use printers in the library was mentioned
      • Noted that someone from the sustainability center will assist and more information will be shared at the next meeting
    • Instructional Technology Services and Support
      • Noted that this subcommittee formerly made a recommendation for a centralized website where requests would come in from faculty for instructional services
      • Suggested that this subcommittee is currently awaiting resource recommendations from the Provost
    • TLC
      • Mentioned that the Provost has a committee that will select a director and give the charge for the TLC at an upcoming meeting
    • Mechanisms for Gathering Information
      • Noted that there was a former question of potential overlap between this subcommittee and the ITGC’s upcoming Information Management committee
      • Suggested that this subcommittee is currently on hold until further information is gathered
  • New Business
    • Banner 9 Update
      • Mentioned that Banner 9 will be going live on the student side as of October 14th
      • Suggested that the OSSS has sent multiple emails requesting that users log into the playground to familiarize themselves with the new look and feel of Banner 9
    • Wait Listing
      • Suggested that the wait-listing process will begin at the end of the October so long as it functions well with Banner 9
      • Mentioned that wait-listing will be piloted through the Computer Science department starting in Fall 2019
      • Noted that this function will not be automated, and will require effort and management from pilot users
    • I-Suite
      • A brief overview of I-Suite was given, noting that it will be primarily used by advisors and the writing and math labs for coordinated communication in regard to students
      • Suggested that there are three components to this suite: the advising component, the alert component, and the predictive analytics component
      • Noted that there will be a faculty liaison
      • It was mentioned that there will be a pilot starting in April 2019 which will include two colleges, three support programs, and the writing and math labs
    • Center for Online Teaching for Public Health
      • A brief background on this idea was given, noting that it came out of the six-month training program called the Institute for Emerging Leadership in Online Learning
      • It was explained that the main purpose for this center is to build a community for instructors to share information and become more engaged
      • Noted that the new TLC will potentially fill some of the need for information sharing at the university for online faculty
      • Discussion on possible solutions that could potentially work for online faculty
      • Suggested that a formal subcommittee be formed in order to develop a community for online faculty to facilitate communication and share information
    • Panopto
      • A presentation on the video platform Panopto was given, explaining its creation and how its expanded as well as what it does and how it is used by institutions for video recordings
      • It was mentioned that there are options for distribution, the ability to function in partnership with an LMS, editing, and analytics
      • Various tools, functions, and trainings available with Panopto were gone over
      • Suggested that this tool should be available for the 2019 Spring semester
  • Old Business
    • Need for Chair Elect
      • The need for a Chair Elect was mentioned

Admin 09.24.18 Minutes

Attending:

Dale Rush, Eric McMinoway, Jaclyn Finch, Mike Kamowski, Cynthia Cobb, Alex Phistry, Stephanie Dable, Therese Molina, Nilton Garcia, Mike Harner, Annabelle Clarke, Linda Naru, Jon Santanni, Monica Tith, John Fudacz, Kathleen Engstrom, Gloria Keeley, Tony Kerber

  • ITPC Update
    • My UI Financials
      • Noted that this project is in phase two, the group is doing some performance work, and a report on the results should be available in October
    • START myResearch
      • Suggested that this project is in the middle of the Urbana pilot, and noted that Chicago’s pilot date is October 3rd
    • IAM
      • Suggested that this group is working on building a system for IT professionals
    • Employee Training
      • An email stating the ethics training go-live date was mentioned
    • My UI Financials Phase 3
      • Noted that this project is in progress, looking at potential additional requirements for release two and release one is being tested
    • JMLS
      • Noted that one of the AITS project managers is working with the Provost’s office to help with some of that work
    • IBPMS
      • Suggested that this project is a workflow tool, and the goal of this tool is to implement an integration of enterprise data and allow IT professionals within all of the universities and all departments to generate their own workflows
      • Suggested that there will be a presentation on this tool as soon as possible
  • New Business
    • Banner 9 Student Communication and Training
      • Suggested that there have been emails going out each week to all student contacts encouraging the completion of small, hour-long tasks to become more familiar with the service
      • Three goals were mentioned: getting users to actually look at Banner 9, updating documentation on the OSSS website, and getting users working with basic functionality to familiarize themselves with Banner 9
      • Noted that there are training sessions for certain, key areas, and hands-on training sessions for those who manage administrative sections in Banner 9
      • Noted that Banner 9 is differently mostly due to it having more navigation
      • Stressed that the OSSS’ main goal is to have users working with Banner 9’s basic functionality by the go-live date
    • Wait Listing Project
      • The background of this project was mentioned, noting that this project will be kicked off near the end of October and will focus on undergraduate courses at first
      • The steps in this project were described and discussed
    • I-Suite: New Advising System Project
      • Noted that UIC started looking at vendor software a year or so ago for advising
      • Suggested that I-Suite is a three-application suite with an advising component, a predictive analytics component, and an early alerts component
      • Suggested that this project will be starting at the undergraduate level
      • Noted that the premise for this project was to get information from current systems into one place for advisors to get a broader picture of their students
      • Suggested that these systems together would yield more transparency, and its kick-off will be in the beginning of October
      • Noted that the pilot will include two colleges, three support programs, and the writing and math labs
      • The timeline and trajectory were gone over, noting that the goal is to complete this project by Fall 2019
      • The process for validation by the vendor was mentioned
      • Noted that there will be changes to the production environment, but as much feedback as possible will be gathered as possible beforehand
      • Suggested that the main goal of this project is to get UIC’s retention and graduation rates up within the next few years, noting that this suite should help with degree plans
    • The Future of Banner: Survey
      • A meeting where the current and future state of Banner was discussed was mentioned
      • The link to the Future of the University Enterprise System feedback survey will be shared with the committee later this week
      • Noted that survey results are being compiled now
      • Suggested that this survey could represent what our Enterprise system could look like in the next 5-10 years

InfraSec 09.12.18 Minutes

Attending:

Frank Cervone, Chris Barton, Sandeep Dath, Sarah Ritch, Theresa Molina, Ashok Bennet, Mat Willis, Lalo Camacho, Kevin Price, Bala Ramaraju, Marcin, Ron Versetto, Vinay Surpuriya, Ateeq Rahman, Kat Kernick, Lisa Blake, Jason Maslanka, Ron Fernandez, Kirsten Pielstrom, Ed Zawacki, Elizabeth Romero Fuerte, Ilir Zenku, Mark Goedert, Matt Miller, Miguel Martin, Stephanie Dable, Ian Huggins, Brian Schoudel, Dean Dang

  • UI Systems Report and Discussion Topics
    • Next Generation ERP
      • Changes being made to Banner 9 were presented on
      • Mentioned that, with the new update, there will no longer be a Java requirement, but rather a web-based application that serves up Banner forms
      • Noted that AITS was tasked with assessing the current state of Banner to see if it is meeting the university’s needs
      • An overview of the history of Banner was given
      • Suggested that AITS looked at what the Big Ten Institutions are using as ERPs
      • Suggested that one of the reasons for migrating to cloud-based solutions is due to ERPs not supporting businesses any longer than it being the cost-effective solution
      • A brief history of ERP systems was given
      • Noted that AITS boiled down four ERP options that could potentially be solutions for the U of I system
      • Suggested that there are still many things to be considered before any decisions are made
    • Business Process Improvement
      • Suggested that the business process component of any ERP project is just as important as implementing a system itself
      • Noted that WorkDay is a single-code base
      • Suggested that AITS has been talking to governance groups, business groups, and the like to find out what business processes need improvement, which applications are being used, and if there is any new functionality that is wanted or needed
      • Discussion on the future decision-making process
      • Discussion on the survey that will be sent to this committee
  • Election – Vice Chair / Chair Elect
    • Nomination and Vote
      • A new Vice Chair / Chair Elect was nominated and the committee unanimously voted
  • UIC Reports
    • Azure Update
      • Suggested that this group is working on the audit findings for the risk assessment/strategy governance
      • Discussion on the audit findings, risk assessment, and moving forward with the cloud
      • Suggested that ACCC is being asked to come up with a tangible checklist that can be used to assess which vendors adequately address risks and which do not
      • Suggested that this checklist will help guide UIC in terms of governance and risk management to pick solutions that meet the business needs
      • Suggested that UIC reach out to other research one universities who have already adopted these systems in order to expedite the process
      • Noted that this audit was done by University Audits, and there is a compliance deadline, therefore there is a requirement to devote resources to it
      • Discussion on the audit, risks being assessed, and the process of how to satisfy the findings in the timelier manner
    • EPM (SCCM) Update
      • An update on the endpoint management service was presented
      • Suggested that the group is in the deployment phase, and the objective with this project is for the endpoints to be complete by the end of September
      • Noted that the technical tasks being focused on are updating and fixing the PXE issues in the FM environment and the distribution point issues in the graduate college
      • An effort to remove Big Fix documentation was mentioned
      • Discussion on Big Fix, the endpoint management timeline, and incident resolution
    • iLeCT Update
      • Mentioned that this group has been meeting frequently over the past few months
      • Suggested that the group is aiming to hold some events during the fall
      • Suggested that the group is focused on trying to bring people together to share information and continue connecting with the IT community to look for active involvement
    • Remote Desktop Gateway
      • Noted that this topic came in from multiple avenues in regard to an email that was sent to REACH
      • An overview of this service was given, noting that it was thought that this service would be superseded by the new VPN
      • Discussion on whether to move forward with this service or with AnyConnect, other solutions, and the issues of using RDP
  • UIC Discussion Topic
    • IT Community, Shared Services, Professional Development
      • Noted that there are a few proposals coming up for consideration
      • Noted that there are a few drafts which were posted to the InfraSec Box folder, and the committee was encouraged to look them over for discussion at the next meeting
    • Splunk Update
      • It was mentioned that Splunk as a service page has started, noting that two units are now in testing
      • Suggested that a service page will be up soon
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Inactive Subcommittees
      • It was mentioned that subcommittee chairs will be contacted to determine if their subcommittees are still relevant and active, or if they can be disbanded
  • New Business
    • Box Concern
      • Suggested that an increasing number of users have been accessing university Box from accounts that do not belong to the university system
      • Discussion on how this has been an issue in the past and how to address it

Research 09.06.18 Minutes

Attending:

Andrew Boyd; David DuBois; Karen Dunn Lopez; Teresa Johnston; Andy Johnson; Alex Phistry; Lindsey McQuade; Jacqueline Berger; Henrik Aratyn; Bob Sandusky; Himanshu Sharma; Ed Zawacki; Elizabeth Tarlov

  • Discussion Items
    • NIH S10 Proposal
      • Noted that the grant proposal was submitted
      • Various sponsorship parties were mentioned
      • The committee was reminded that this grant is for a secure, high-performance computer used by researchers for encrypted storage and sensitive data
      • Suggested that the initial review should be complete by December
      • How to become involved in this proposal and potential grant was gone over
      • The committee was thanked for their support on this proposal
    • IRB Concerns
      • The IRB concerns brought up last spring were mentioned
      • Mentioned that the Vice Chancellor issued a rebuttal to the article that was published
      • Noted that there were no new issues or concerns brought up over the summer and IRB is conducting business as usual and moving forward
      • A follow-up article which yielded no new information was mentioned
      • Suggested that nothing within the IRB has really changed
      • The concerns brought against the IRB were briefly gone over
    • Review of UIC IT
      • An overview of UIC IT was given
      • Noted that a big limitation is not having budgetary powers, which results in researchers looking for external funding to support initiatives
      • Suggested to use this committee as a discussion forum or starting point for research is a positive factor
      • Suggested that engaging more people would be beneficial
      • Suggested that ACCC has been working internally to develop a strategy for allocating funds and has sought feedback from external stakeholders
      • Also recommended that ACCC present to this committee where they are in terms of developing their strategic policy and strategy to receive feedback
      • Suggested looking at the external review and where they are in the strategy would put the committee in a better position than they are currently in
      • The external CIO review, which was conducted in the spring with representation from Georgia State and Arizona State and yielded verbal recommendations, was mentioned
    • Faculty Scholarship Database Software
      • Suggested that the current hold up is due to General Data Protection Regulations
      • Formal discussion tabled for the October meeting
  • Subcommittees
    • Institutional Stewardship of Data
      • A presentation on the current state of Institutional Stewardship of Data was given
      • The committee was asked for the coming year regarding this subcommittee and related activities
      • Noted that the library repository migrated from DSpace version 1.6 to 5.8 in May
      • Noted that the library is looking at Figshare for Institutions as a possible replacement for DSpace to power INDIGO
      • A brief overview on what Figshare is and does, noting that it is cloud-based, was given
      • Discussion on Figshare and potential issues
      • Discussion on the library’s decision to migrate to the cloud
      • Work being done by UIC librarians on research data management information was mentioned
      • Noted that the integration of research data management information is on hold until the arrival of a new VCR
      • Discussion on the interests and priorities regarding Institutional Stewardship of Data for the 2018-2019 school year
      • Suggested that there is or will be guidance for researchers on how to accommodate any changes regarding the repository
      • Discussion on challenges regarding the data repository, funding, and researchers
  • Old Business
    • Hospital Email Concerns
      • Suggested that when new employees are assigned new accounts, there have been issues
      • Noted that higher-ups are aware of this issue and it is being worked on
  • New Business
    • HUBzero
      • Mentioned that a product manager from Purdue presented on the HUBzero service in the library
      • Suggested that this service would potentially allow access to some high-performance computing resources
      • Minor discussion on HUBzero
    • Cambridge Structural Database
      • Suggested that UIC is lacking the structural database set by Cambridge
      • Suggested that universities typically have an institutional license for this database
      • Noted that the university previously had this database through the library, but it was discontinued due to budget
      • Suggested that further discussion of this database would be brought to the library for discussion, potentially involving the OBFS

Education 09.05.18 Minutes

Attending:

Clare Ardizzone; Anthony Marino; Martina Bode; Marieke Schoen; Janette Maldonado; Jon Art; Alex Phistry; Michael Siciliano; Cathleen Bimmerle; Elizabeth Romero; Alana Steffen; Anne Armstrong; Susan Altfeld; Kee Chan; Kim Rivas; Nathan Phillips; Tim Sullivan; Michael Scott; Mike Kamowski

  • Discussion of Committee Charge and Objectives
    • Charge Discussion
      • The committee reviewed their listed charge, noting that it had already been revised
      • Suggested to leave the charge as is for now and focus on the listed objectives
    • Objectives Discussion
      • The committee went over their listed objectives, point by point
      • Discussion on each objective’s relevance and importance
      • Suggested that the three main objectives that came out of a previous meeting better align with what the committee should be focused on
      • Discussion on the overall role of the Education committee in the process of gathering product use data and sharing information with the university
      • The list of current and inactive subcommittees was gone over, suggested that each Education committee member serve on at least one active subcommittee
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • LMS Governance Board
      • Noted that there is a cloud-based pilot about to kick off
      • Noted that phase one, which is meant for users to explore the system, will begin in October, and phase two, set to launch in the spring, will be more intensive
    • Printing Sustainability
      • Noted that this subcommittee met over the summer and approved its charge
    • Instructional Technology Services and Support
      • Suggested that this subcommittee now has a better idea of its membership, but is currently on hold until funds are allocated
  • Need for Chair Elect
    • Announcement
      • Mentioned that the chair of this committee will be requesting a sabbatical next year and will need a chair elect to take over this position

Admin 08.28.18 Minutes

Attending:

Todd Van Neck; Montanee Wongchinsri; Nilton Garcia; Kat Kernick; Jeff Weaver; Sandy de Groote; Linda Naru; Gloria Keeley; Dimuthu Tilakaratne; Kathleen Engstrom; Annabelle Clark; Mike Kamowski; Cynthia Cobb; Tony Kerber; Stephanie Dable; Jaclyn Finch

  • Presentations
    • Property Accounting System
      • A brief background on what the property accounting system entails was given
      • Suggested that the biennial application is brand-new, and is now a module of FABWeb, which preexisted Banner
      • Noted that FABWeb is a web-based browser that all units use to manage equipment items and its other uses and processes were gone over
      • Mentioned that the biennial inventory is a state-mandated effort, which is different than most state agencies which typically have annual inventory systems
      • Suggested that the biennial inventory project differs from the past property accounting system in that it is more accurate and effective
      • How to determine the contact for each unit and how that information is maintained was questioned
      • Suggested that units themselves designate their single unit property accounting contact
      • Also suggested that the Property Accounting office updates their website with a list of those contacts and unit heads
      • Mentioned that Property Accounting has always managed and used those names provided to review the certification forms provided and the office is the only office with access to grant or change those roles
      • Discussion on the process of the biennial cycle
      • Suggested that, in the new biennial application, there are three new roles: unit contact, unit head, and unit specialist who all have certain levels of functionality access
      • Mentioned that, with the new biennial application, there is a web-based component as well as an optional, flexible mobile app that can be downloaded with an invitation from AITS, for efficient scanning of the inventory
      • Short discussion on the new processes associated with the updated biennial system
    • Shared Metadata and Comprehensive Data Repository
      • An email recently sent out on the plan to upgrade the EDDIE tool over the weekend of September 21st was mentioned and another email will be sent out closer to the date on steps users should take to upgrade their software to be compatible with the upgraded EDDIE tool
      • A presentation on shared metadata and the comprehensive data repository was shared
      • What meta data is and how it helps to understand the data already collected by the university system was explained and it was suggested that there are a few metadata solutions available within the UI system, but there is no way to look at cumulative data
      • Noted that a shared metadata solution would be able to provide functional, structured clarifications and definitions on data as well as HR reports
      • Mentioned that the group looking into shared metadata information and vendor solutions is the Business Intelligence and Performance Management subcommittee, which includes membership from all three universities within the UI system
      • Suggested that one of the vendors being looked at is IData for their Data Cookbook tool and another tool being compared is the Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog, explaining that both tools are relatively easy to use and allow users similar functionality
      • Suggested that this project is currently in the stage of fielding demos from vendors and next steps will include choosing a tool that best fits UI system needs and writing a proposal to the ITPC for approval and funding
      • The Comprehensive Data Repository and the discussion on how to extend the current university data warehouse to include more information were mentioned
      • Noted that the tiers to this effort include the “data lake,” “data marts,” and “integrated longitudinal data”
      • Suggested that some repository storage options being looked into are local storage, storing information in the cloud, or data virtualization
      • Suggested that some of the issues being considered are time involved, composing a proposal, and getting an approval for funding
      • Concern was expressed for the user population
      • Suggested that this project be presented to the InfraSec committee for more interest and to the Reporting Solutions subcommittee of the OBFS Advisory committee
    • Faculty Profiling Tool
      • Suggested that there has been work done to implement a campus-wide profile, or activity reporting, tool to get a better idea of faculty metrics
      • Mentioned that this idea had been presented to the Dean’s Council and it was agreed upon to move to one, unified tool
      • Specifics of what the new faculty profile tool would include and how data would be obtained was gone over
      • Discussion on implementation, specific needs from different colleges and units, features, and what is to be expected from the tool overall
    • Source to Pay
      • Mentioned that RFI is scheduled to open during the first week of September, which will contribute to the completion of the RFP
      • Suggested that the vendor demos should begin around November
      • Noted that the process is currently awaiting a future-state proposal document
  • ITPC Update
    • My UI Financials
      • Mentioned the UI Financials phase two occurred in the Spring
      • Noted that UI Financials are currently working on performance improvements
      • Suggested that phase three has been added to the report and included training materials and providing the ability to display transaction details across multiple fiscal years
      • Also suggested that the project is currently in requirements and design and is getting ready to move into UAT
    • START myResearch
      • Noted that this group has released some enhancements to the portal piece of this product within the last week
      • Mentioned that this group is currently working on proposals
      • Noted that there were some performance issues that have been worked out and there is currently work being done to start a pilot in Urbana this upcoming weekend, and based on how that goes, the pilot should be coming to Chicago around the beginning of October
    • IAM
      • Suggested that this group is piloting the affiliations piece of identity and access management with Springfield, then with Urbana, and finally with Chicago
    • Employee Training
      • Suggested that there was an ethics pilot which went well based on feedback
      • They are currently gearing up for deployment
      • It was confirmed that the pilot was offered to roughly fifty individuals and about half of them have completed training
      • Noted that other groups, such as OBFS, are beginning to send their certification training curriculum out
      • Mentioned that they are also working on campus security authority training, HIPAA training after the first of the year, and the full blown annual ethics training for the whole month of October
  • New Business
    • Banner 9
      • It was asked who the appropriate point of contact is for any issues regarding the new Banner 9
      • Suggested that there is a Banner 9 Help page, but for any unanswered questions, users can create a ticket for the AITS service desk
    • Chair Turnover
      • Todd Van Neck was thanked for his years of service as chair of this committee

InfraSec 08.08.18 Minutes

Attending:

Miguel Martin, Julio Chavarria, Frank Cervone, Elizabeth Romero, Chris Barton, Marcin Hiolski, Brent West, Sandeep Dath, Ed Zawacki, Kevin Price, Jason Maslanka, Mike Kirda, Lalo Camacho, Alex Phistry, Mark Goedert, Esteban Perez, Paul Neumann, John Mason, Charles Nutall, Will Marcyniuk, Andre Pavkokic, Lisa Blake, Ateeq Rahman, Dean Dang, Therese Molina, Doug McCarthy, Mat Willis, Ashok Bennett, Matt Miller, Kirsten Pielstrom, Ron Fernandez, Bala Ramaraju, Vinay Surpuriya, Ernesto Reyna, Ani Palakurthi, Barry White, Shannon Reden

  • UI Systems Report and Discussion Topics
    • RIMS – Disposal of Digital Content Policy, Standard, and Guidelines
      • A brief overview of the RIMS task force charged with composing a policy for digital content disposal for orphaned content was given
      • Suggested that the standard agreed upon recommends a soft deletion after 90 days, progressing to a final deletion point after 180 days
      • Noted that the task force is interested in feedback or recommendation guidelines on their standard for the creation of a new policy
      • Suggested that the policy is mainly interested in data associated with deleted accounts
      • Suggested that this policy would potentially apply to all systems
      • Minor discussion on what types of data and situations this policy would apply to
      • Suggested that this policy be discussed in the security subcommittee to address any potential issues or concerns
      • Discussion on HIPAA compliance, PHI, and data
  • UIC Reports
    • VPN and Networks Update
      • The New Core Remediation and VPN projects were presented on
      • Mentioned that phase one of four of the New Core Remediation project is complete and all departments are now on ASAs
      • The project is currently in phase two, consisting of reconnecting all buildings to new equipment in the data center
      • Phase three will consist of updating all buildings’ main switches
      • What the Networks team has upgraded and accomplished in the past few years leading up to this project was gone over
      • Suggested that there has been work done across multiple groups, offices, and departments for the AnyConnect VPN solution
      • Noted that AnyConnect will run concurrently with open VPNs for a short time to give anyone using open VPNs the chance to convert to AnyConnect
      • Noted that it was decided to integrate dual authentication with AnyConnect
      • The Networks team is working on documentation before deploying VPN-wide
      • Suggested that pilot users will be receiving documentation on how to use AnyConnect within the next week in order to provide feedback and suggestions, and once complete, AnyConnect will be deployed
      • Discussion on AnyConnect and other VPN solutions, dual authentication, administrative privileges, and general project timelines
    • EPM Update
      • There was a presentation on ACCC’s Endpoint Management Service
      • Noted that SCCM 2012 and BigFix are being discontinued and current customers will need to migrate
      • Suggested going to the Endpoint Management Service page for information and requests
      • Discussion on the importance of protecting data with an endpoint management system and the migration/transition to happen in the fall
    • Cloud Service Update
      • Suggested that the project is past its feasibility phase
      • Next step is to engage the community to gauge what is wanted via feedback and suggestions
    • Rate and Funding Committee
      • An update was given from the last meeting
      • Suggested that an approximate user spending rate was agreed upon
      • Mentioned a discussion within the subcommittee which proposes to increase the approximate user rate over the next five years
    • IT Governance Council Meeting
      • Noted that rate and funding were discussed in detail amongst the Council
      • The EAD/Networks teams’ merger was mentioned
      • Suggested that the search for a new Director of Infrastructure and Networks will begin soon
      • Mentioned that the JMLS and Red projects were discussed
      • Noted were minor discussion points from the meeting such as the GPU cluster, ACCC’s migration to KnowledgeBase, the CIO review, and the Data Governance Council gaining momentum
    • ACCC Metrics Report
      • There was a presentation on ACCC’s metrics regarding request and incident management
      • The updated dashboards which focus on details by service were noted
      • Suggested that the goal is to investigate why trends are not occurring the way they ideally would
      • Suggested that the focus will move more toward ACCC services rather than an overall group view
      • Noted that there is work being done to make information publically available and drillable
      • Future metrics were gone over, outlining work being done and future goals
  • UIC Discussion Topics
    • Outlook 365 Point-in-Time Backups
      • An issue with Outlook not automatically backing up content was noted
      • Suggested that there are ways to recover deleted emails via a data dumpster where all deleted mail is stored for two weeks
      • Also mentioned was that there are separate tools available for purchase that can automatically backup emails
      • Discussion on backup options and what can be done
    • Password Management
      • Password management was mentioned and it was asked whether UIC should provide administrative privileges for the regional campuses
      • It was decided that UIC will allow administrative privileges for regional campuses only
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Risk Management / Risk Assessment
      • Mentioned that the subcommittee is using Tableau to analyze data and will have an update at the next meeting
    • Security Program
      • Mentioned that this group is still reconciling some changes in the security program
      • Suggested that this group is creating a more verbose change log to really spell out the details of meaningful changes made to the policy
      • Noted that this group is working on the phase six rollout, nearing completion
      • Trying to align the phase six rollout with the completion of the security program
      • Hope to distribute surveys before and after the rollout to measure level of experience and level of improvement with the security program
      • Mentioned that the SANS Securing and Human contract was renewed
      • Suggested making this training a part of the onboarding process
      • Suggested that ACCC is in the midst of evaluating and selecting an antivirus software

Admin 06.26.18 Minutes

Attending:

Dale Rush, Todd Van Neck, Mike Kamowski, Brian Schoudel, Stephanie Dable, Tony Kerber, Linda Naru, Eric McMinoway, Joe Patzin, AJ Lavender, Gloria Keeley, Kathleen Engstrom, Jackie Finch, Dimuthu Tilakaratne, Therese Molina, Heather O’Leary

  • ITPC Update
    • Project Updates
      • Project timelines were gone over
      • Noted that START myResearch have added pilots and golive dates
      • Discussion of changes to My UI Financials, expectations, and user statistics
      • Discussion on testing and pilots for myProposals
  • ERP / Business Process Next Steps
    • ERP Review
      • Planning for change for Banner 2009 was presented on
    • BPI
      • The committee was asked for input on which business processes and software need improvement and how to increase functionality
      • Noted that a survey will be sent out to everyone who sees the presentation and asked that it be forwarded to anyone who would be interested
      • Discussion of some process and software that could be improved
      • Suggested that AITS will look at survey results and determine the next steps to move forward
      • Discussion on how to get feedback from all involved parties
    • Discussion
      • Discussion on TEM, bulling from publications, FMWeb, salary planner, procurement, hiring, foundation accounting system, etc.
      • Suggested sending the survey to BAT conference attendees
      • Further discussion of systems that could be improved
      • Mentioned that part of the problem is lack of documentation for existing processes
      • Suggested evaluating the level of difficulty with different processes/systems
      • Suggested using the Survey Research Lab or another resource to help with survey design
  • Logistics on Fall 2018 and Beyond
    • Scheduling
      • The Doodle Poll for rescheduling in Fall 2018 will be resent
      • The new chair will take over as of the August meeting
      • Noted that a new LAS representative will be joining the committee
      • Discussion of reviewing current membership
  • AITS Design Principles
    • Discussion
      • Noted that this committee had made recommendations about creating designing principles for all business systems
      • ITPC created a project template to address this request
      • Suggested that the committee had discussed this at the last meeting and reviewed the template as well as other documents
      • Links to relevant documents will be shared for everyone