InfraSec 04.11.18 Minutes

Attending:

Marcin Hiolski, Anthony Marino, Alex Phistry, Heather O’Leary, Ateeq Rahman, Mike Kirda, Allen Randall, Ed Zawacki, Bala Ramaraju, Jelene Crehan, Dean Dang, Paul Neumann, Lalo Camacho, Vinay Surpuriya, Mark Goedert, Miguel Martin, Kirsten Pielstrom, Phil Reiter, Therese Molina, Lisa Blake, Shannon Redden, Dan Paz-Horta, Ron Fernandez, Chris Barton, Jason Maslanka, Andre Pavkovic, Doug McCarthy, Sarah Ritch, Ian Huggins, Ernesto Reyna, Matt Miller, Butch Zunich, Frank Cervone, Heather O’Leary

  • UI Systems Reports and Discussion Topics
    • Duo
      • A presentation on Duo, giving an overview of deployment, user numbers, and it is being used for, was given
      • Some issues that Duo users have encountered were gone over
      • The product vision was shared and a demo of Duo issues was given
      • Major activities planned to improve and expand the service were listed
      • Mentioned that students will be able to opt-in to Duo for services
      • The Duo project timeline and potential risks were shared
      • Discussion of concerns and next steps
      • Discussion of whether to create a formal project in ACCC
  • UIC Reports
    • Network Backbone Migration
      • The history of the network project, current status, and next steps was presented
      • The unification strategy was outlined and it was noted that all departments will be consulted before migrating
      • Noted that the networks team will also work around known conflicts
      • A brief overview of the migration timeline was given
      • The CDW project manager will be assisting with the migration and communications
      • Noted that at the end of migration, everything will be on private VLANs
      • Suggested that the goal is to have a private VLAN for each building
      • Suggested that the networks team hold a separate meeting with technical staff to go over details
    • Student Printing Service
      • The Ink cloud printing pilot was presented on
      • Student feedback was gone over and it suggested that there was not a clear preference for either Ink or Pharos
      • Based on support issues and pricing concerns, ACCC has decided not to go forward with Ink
      • A second phase pilot, using Wepa, will be started in AY19
      • Potential benefits of Wepa and the plan for deployment were outlined
      • Concern about printing in the library was expressed
    • IT Job Family
      • The history of the IT job families in HR was gone over and it was noted that documents are available in Box that would be posted on the HR website
      • It was asked that committee members review the documents and send feedback
  • UIC Discussion Topics
    • SEIM/Logging Requirements
      • Noted that three has been a discussion about gathering requirements for a tool that would allow logging
      • Noted that ACCC is using part of Urbana’s license to offer Spark as a service at UIC
      • Noted the importance of reports and the need for departments to generate their own
      • Discussion of department needs and what should be logged
      • The current Splunk contract and what is available were gone over
      • Noted that once it is deployed, departments will have access to the Splunk interface
      • Discussion of Splunk costs and charging
      • Concerns about the covered entity and how logging would affect those under it were expressed and clarification and communication were asked for
      • It was proposed to create a group to discuss these issues and report back to the committee
      • Further discussion of what should be required of the covered entity and other concerns
    • End-Point Management
      • A brief overview of the work done by the end-point management task force
      • Noted that many departments were using SCCM out of Urbana but it has not been considered a viable solution for UIC
      • Suggested that the HSCs and the subcommittee proposed KACE as a solution, but other options are still being considered in light of new information
      • Noted that there is a deadline to have an end-point management solution in place by August
      • Concern was expressed about getting a new system up and running by August
      • An alternative solution, using an improved version of SCCM, was gone over
      • Suggested making sure both solutions meet all the requirements of the task force, IT security policy, and HIPAA
      • Discussion of what is being done in Urbana’s Power Plant
      • Discussion of policy and whether it is possible to implement more than one solution
      • Further discussion of issues in the task force process
    • Shared Service Backup
      • Suggested that Medicine is working on a five-year solution that integrates with cloud for departments with larger server backup needs
      • Suggested that ADSM in ACCC is available for server backups
    • IPHEC AV Contract
      • Noted that the current contract will not be renewed and ends in June
      • Noted that there was follow up with IPHEC and Purchasing for more information
      • Some possible issues with the contract were outlined
      • Discussion of concerns about the AV contract
  • Announcements and Updates
    • FY19 ACCC Maintenance Windows
      • The scheduled maintenance windows were presented on and feedback was asked for
      • HSC calendars will be shared with ACCC for consideration
      • Noted that there is no perfect maintenance window
      • Noted that a calendar is available on the ACCC website and will FY19 window will be posted once finalized
  • Subcommittees
    • Rate and Funding
      • Suggested that a meeting be scheduled in the near future

InfraSec 03.14.18 Minutes

Attending:

Lisa Blake, Phil Reiter, Frank Cervone, Kirsten Pielstrom, Matt Miller, Sarah Ritch, Jason Maslanka, Chris Barton, Ateeq Rahman, Marcin Hiolski, Kevin Price, Andre Pavkovic, Ron Fernandez, Therese Molina, Lalo Camacho, VinaySurpuriya, Mike Kirda, Dean Dang, Julio Chavarria, Ian Huggins, Shannon Reden, Alex Phistry

  • UIC Reports and Discussion Topics
    • Rate and Funding Services Review
      • Noted that the Rate and Funding Services Review proposal was uploaded
      • Mentioned that the proposal was gone over to create the subcommittee
      • Discussion on membership of the subcommittee, where funds for services come from, and representation on that committee
      • Suggested that there was concern about input from the IT community about what services were being purchased and that forming this subcommittee was an effort to get IT Governance involved
    • Clarifying InfraSec Committee Membership
      • Mentioned that InfraSec membership listed on the ITGC website is out of date
      • Minor discussion on roles between voting/non-voting members
      • Minor discussion on which members should be included on the website
    • Oracle Site License
      • Mentioned looking at what database software is available and unavailable
      • Noted that Oracle is an option but feedback is being looked for from people on what to know
      • Discussion on past issues with database software
    • SEIM, Splunk, and Requirements Gathering
      • Mentioned that it was discussed that ACCC decided Splunk would be their logging tool
      • Concerns regarding Splunk training were voiced
      • A discussion of what is really needed from a logging tool was posed
      • Further context on what should be required from a logging tool was provided
      • Noted that this is a particular issue for colleges that have PHI or some component that may be part of the covered entity
      • Suggested the way to do this is through analysis of the system logs that come out of individual machines as well as servers
      • Noted that part of the concern is that specific needs that some units have may not be the same as other units
      • Discussion on SEIM tools, departmental needs, and data requirements
    • KACE End-Point Management Update
      • Mentioned that the health sciences colleges are trialing the KACE End-Point Management Solution
      • Noted the official BigFix end-date is in June 2018
      • Suggested that KACE is one of the most affordable solutions already being implemented on campus that works
      • An update on the status of KACE and how it has been being introduced and used more on campus was given
      • Suggested that KACE would completely and adequately replace BigFix being that it would work in most if not all of the contxts
      • Suggested having a demonstration talking about particular aspects in different colleges
      • Questioned how KACE would be integrated with the SCCM that ACCC provides
      • Suggested the SCCM being provided by Urbana to date is going to be replaced by another offering
      • Suggested that there is a high likelihood that the health sciences colleges will be using KACE as a solution, which would make it available across campus
      • Discussion on SCCM, KACE, and individual departments

InfraSec 02.14.18 Minutes

Attending:

Lisa Blake, Adam LeGrande, Miguel Martin, Anthony Marino, David Grogan, Dean Dang, Frank Cervone, Ed Zawacki, Daniel Paz-Horta, Elizabeth Romero, Esteban Perez, Lalo Camacho, Ron Fernandez, Jason Maslanka, Sandeep Dath, Allen Randall, Ilir Zenku, Ateeq Rahman, Phil Reiter, Mike Kirda, Matt Miller, Dan Pollack, Shannon Reden, Bala Ramaraju, Ashok Benet, Therese Molina, Tony Kerber, Jelene Crehan, Vinay Surpuriya, Doug McCarthy, Andre Pavkovic, Kevin Price, Marcin Hiolski, Mark Goedert, Heather O’Leary

  • UI Systems Report and Discussion Topics
    • Intelligent Business Process Management Suite
      • The iBPS and RFP were presented on to find a solution
      • The analysis and recommendation for the system were gone over
      • Noted that the goal of the system is to enable process automation by creating workflows which would lessen unit dependence on central IT
      • The RFP process timeline was gone over and it was noted that they are currently in the discovery phase
    • Employee Training infrastructure
      • Suggested that this is different from Blackboard and would be used for enterprise employee training needs
      • A presentation was given and training and tracking needs were gone over
      • Noted that the selected product is MaxIT
      • Implementation was gone over
      • Noted that the goal is to implement in the first half of 2018, then allow units to push out their own training later
    • GDPA and UIC
      • A slide was presented and noted that the GDPR is a European privacy regulation that goes into effect on May 25th
      • Suggested that it is similar to HIPAA but applies to all personal information
      • Noted that there are significant consequences for not complying
      • Suggested that surveys have been sent out to units to identify affected activities and the website privacy notice will be updated
      • Discussion of how this will affect UIV once implemented
  • UIC Reports and Discussion Topics
    • UIC Strategy/UIC Community
      • A presentation on UIC IT Strategic Planning was given
      • Discussion of the UIC IT Strategy
    • IT Reclassification Appeals Committee
      • Discussion of the appeals process and how it was created to address issues with the civil service transition
      • Someone from the committee will talk to HR about sending out communication to the IT community
      • Suggested that this should be dealt with by department HR
    • HR Job Family Review
      • Suggested that there is no information on the UIC HR website about IT job families and classification and that this needs to be addressed
      • Suggested that a representative from HR come to a future InfraSec committee meeting to clarify and answer questions
      • Suggested that there are issues about how the job bands are being applied
      • Discussion of writing a letter to HR to express concerns, of hiring and union related issues related to the job families, and compensation and career advancement
    • Rate and Funding
      • Mentioned that there is a meeting scheduled for March 2nd between ACCC and the rate and funding subcommittee
      • It was questioned how services will be added to the rate
      • Noted that a process for this will be determined in the future
      • The March 2nd meeting will be a discussion of how to address these issues
    • Cisco VPN Project
      • Noted that the Networks group is currently testing the Cisco VPN solution
      • The team will have to create support documentation once testing is complete
      • Suggested that account creation is being worked on and, once complete, others can join the testing phase
      • Updates will be provided to the committee as the implementation timeline is determined
  • New Business
    • Two Factor Authentication for Windows Admin
      • It was questioned whether 2FA solely for administrative IT purposes would be feasible in the near future
      • Suggested in order for 2FA to be on an endpoint it would have to be installed on that endpoint
      • Suggested that there are many more authentication processes that are unaccounted for than RDP sessions and/or the RDP on the local login
      • Discussion of 2FA options
      • Suggested that there are different levels of endpoint protection and it is up to the department
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Risk Management/Risk Assessment
      • Noted that the risk assessment survey has been sent out and tomorrow is the deadline
    • Security Program
      • A new draft of the IT Security Program was shared
      • Suggested that the changes are mainly small corrections
      • Suggested that a section on encryption for the HIPAA covered entity have been added
      • Discussion of approval process
  • UIC Reports and Discussion Topics: Part 2
    • ACCC Strategic Planning
      • Suggested that ACCC is working on an internal strategic plan that will align to the UIC IT Strategy
      • A presentation on strategic alignment and the planning process was given
      • What ACCC has done so for was outlined and it was noted that a survey will be going out to ITGC to provide stakeholder input
    • Project Reporting
      • A draft dashboard on ACCC project status was presented and feedback from the committee was asked for
      • Noted that the process was not yet automated, but ACCC is working to do so
      • A list of projects as an appendix was asked for
      • A schedule, of at least start to end dates, was asked to be added to the dashboard
    • Exchange Online Migration
      • Noted that the January deadline has passed as well as that there are over 300 department mail routes remaining that need to be tracked down and migrated
      • Noted that the migration process is complete, but there are several thousand routes going off campus which will have to be addressed as the next step
      • Discussion of how routing off campus will be handled
  • Announcements and Updates
    • iLeCT Update
      • An upcoming event for giving and receiving feedback was noted
    • UIUC ITLW Nominations
      • Mentioned that the IT Leadership Workshop had posted on REACH as well as other listservs about nominations for attendees for their networking event in Urbana
      • Suggested that this event could potentially be brought to UIC’s campus in the future

InfraSec 12.13.17 Minutes

Attending:

Frank Cervone, Phil Reiter, Marcin Hiolski, Ed Zawacki, Kevin Shalla, Ian Huggins, Sandeep Dath, Jason Maslanka, Therese Molina, Bala Ramaraju, Lalo Camacho, Esteban Perez, Allen Randall, Mark Goedert, Kirsten Pielstrom, Dean Dang, Ateeq Rahman, Lisa Blake, Elizabeth Romero, (Education), Dan Pollack, Ron Fernandez, Ashok Bennett, Matt Miller, Ilir Zenku, Vinay Surpuriya, Andre Pavkovic, Chris Barton, Pedro Valencia, Mike Kirda, Heather O’Leary

  • Updates from Other ITGC Committees
    • Intro
      • Noted that the chairs of the ITGC committees meet regularly to discuss what each committee is working on
    • Education
      • The Education Committee is looking at sustainable printing at UIC
      • They started by looking at how much printing is done by students and realized that students make up a small portion of printing compared to faculty and staff
      • Noted that this effort is not directly related to the Ink printing pilot, but some information for an Ink evaluation survey is being used
      • The committee is looking at a way for faculty to request tools that they may need for teaching
      • If committee members are interested in joining these efforts, they should reach out to the chair of these subcommittees
    • Admin
      • Noted that the committee has concerns about the lack of strategy for how administrative systems are handled
      • Suggested that the committee keep this issue in mind as they consider related items
  • Ongoing Reports and Discussion Topics
    • Rate and Funding
      • Noted that the Rate and Funding Committee met to discuss the FY18 rate and how ACCC is calculating the rate
      • FTE accounts were questioned
      • ACCC is working to develop long-term plans for the rate in furfure years
      • Suggested that the committee is largely composed of admin/finance people and should include more T staff to consider strategy and what services are included in the rate
      • Suggested that there is not consensus between the departments on how to decide what is included in the rate and how funding is provided
      • The committee had some discussion on how costs beyond the FTE rates will be covered
      • There are concerns about transparency around central funds and what they are being applied to
      • Suggested that this issue must be addressed for FY18, but there is some urgency since the FY19 rate is already being prepared
      • The purpose of the committee and how they are working to set a rate was questioned
      • Suggested that the rate has been aimed at covering current service costs
      • Noted that more work needs to be done to consider long term needs and service priorities
      • Suggested that the charge of the committee is not well defined
      • Further discussion on the role of the committee and how to decide what goes into the basic bundle
      • Suggested that IT Governance should be the group determining what goes into the basic bundle
      • Suggested that the InfraSec committee should review the ACCC service catalog
      • Suggested that the rate and funding committee should be formally integrated into the IT governance structure
      • Concern was expressed about who decides what is in the bundle and how InfraSec can address this issue
      • Suggested creating a subcommittee to work on this
      • The basic bundle list will be sent out to the committee
      • Noted that the hospital has a different rate from the rest of UIC
      • Motion to create a subcommittee to review the basic bundle of services for rate and funding, seconded, no oppositions voiced
    • Azure/AWS/POC
      • Suggested that the cloud services are not ready yet
      • Meetings have been conducted with representatives from each university to discuss how to rollout these services
      • Noted that there are unresolved issues around billing
      • Discussion of billing models and what they might look like
      • Suggested that subscriptions will be set up for each unit and there will be policies around how the services can be used
      • Suggested that there is not a launch date set, but the project is in feasibility
      • The contract goes for two years starting in October
      • How to get involved in pilots/use cases was questioned
      • Suggested that once the portal is available volunteers will be asked for
      • Suggested that units need to plan for the future rather than wait for services to be made available
      • Suggested that units begin training on these services now to prepare to use them in a year
      • Discussion of training opportunities
      • Suggested that ACCC is working to set up a billing system that allows the bill to go straight from the vendor to the client
      • A general timeline on when these services will be made available was requested
    • 2017 HIPAA Audit
      • A brief overview of the HIPAA compliance of the HSCs was given
      • ACCC is working with IT directors in those units to address audit findings
      • Suggested that the end point management discussion is relevant to one of the findings and that the security program addresses many of them as well
      • Noted that, for units outside of HSCs, there will be changes that affect them
      • Discussion of audit process
    • Project Reporting
      • Requested greater project visibility on the committee
      • Suggested that the committee should not get involved in operational issues, but should help set strategy
      • Discussion of what the committee would like to see
      • Further discussion of how to improve the committee’s understanding of how ACCC resources are being used
      • A new report will be drafted to address committee concerns
    • AITS Realignment
      • Noted that there were a number of working groups formed by AITS that looked into what it would take to reallocate specific resources from AITS to the universities
      • The working groups created proposals which are being considered by the CIOs
      • Suggested that, if the proposals go forward, a number of services would come to ACCC
      • Discussion of how these changes might affect ACCC and UIC
      • Noted that the proposals were reviewed by the IT Leadership team in detail, but there is still more to be considered
    • Security Policy Rollout
      • Noted that the subcommittee did not meet due to the UISO meeting
      • Suggested that there have been issues about how consistently security training has been implemented across the university
      • It was asked how best to collectively provide for better support for training
      • Suggested that ACCC centrally manage training for consistency
      • Suggested that deadlines can be set and Audits enforce compliance
      • Further discussion of how training can be improved
      • Suggested that there need to be consequences for those who do not complete training on time
      • Suggested that ACCC will set a date for units to roll out training
      • Questioned how consequences used for not completing other trainings coul be used for security training
    • End Point Management
      • Suggested that the committee is evaluating a number of systems and working to get it down to three to share at the next meeting
      • KACE and Kaseya are possibilities
      • Some features of the different options
      • Suggested that there is an evaluation form being used for each option
      • Noted that a decision must be made urgently
  • Announcements
    • Exchange Migration Deadline
      • Noted that the deadline for migration has been extended to January 29, 2018
      • More deadline communication will be going out soon

InfraSec 11.08.17 Minutes

Attending:

Jason Maslanka, Matt Miller, Kirsten Pielstrom, Phil Reiter, Esteban Perez, Mark Goedert, Elizabeth Romero, Allen Randall, RIMS people, Shannon Redden, Ernesto Reyna, Bala Ramaraju, Therese Molina, Bob Sandusky, Mike Toussaint, Ron Fernandez, Marcin Hiolski, Andre Pavkovic, Doug McCarthy. Kim Charles, Ed Zawacki, Chris Barton, Lisa Blake, Mike Kirda, Heather O’Leary, Julio Chavarria, Daniel Paz-Horta, Miguel Martin, Dan Pollack, Deric Criss, Brent West, Ashok Bennett, Lalo Camacho, Ilir Zenku, Ian Huggins

  • Service Issues and Updates
    • UIC Red Infrastructure
      • A brief overview of the Red project was given
      • Noted that the provost had set a deadline of migrating everyone to the new platform in two years
      • Suggested that work has been done with the Web Advisory Committee to address needs, currently working to determine the priorities of these needs
      • Suggested that work is being done to keep up with immediate need and require additional resources to move forward on others
      • Suggested that the goal of moving into Red is to create a common interface and experience for users and templates in Red are limited to maintain the UIC brand
      • Noted that speed and support of Red is being discussed
      • The provost set the deadline and communicated it to the deans
      • Discussion of committee concerns about Red and that public facing sites should be on Red while others may link to Red sites
      • Further discussion of need for analytics
      • Discussion of defining the scope of the Red migration
      • Documentation of the project was asked for
      • Suggested submitting a request for a formal project manager
    • RIMS
      • Noted that a task force for digital content was created by the UI IT LT with a designee from every CIO
      • The group is currently working to address data that is left behind when employees leave
      • The group is looking at use cases and potential solutions and will create a policy for data retention
      • Discussion of off-boarding policies in different departments and the need for improvement
      • Discussion of need for better process to have HR notify IT of off-boarding
      • Further discussion of concerns around data access
      • Discussion of how the policy would be implemented and the process for approving it
      • Noted that there is a feature in Exchange to set retention on individual folders
      • Discussion of email retention and what should be stored
    • Rate and Funding
      • ACCC met with the Rate and Funding advisory committee to gather feedback on the rate for FY18
      • Regular meetings with the committee are being scheduled and the group will work on a process to prioritize the services that are included in the basic bundle
      • An email will be sent to the committee listing the committee membership
      • Discussion of membership
      • Discussion of involving InfraSec in determining the services provided as part of the basic bundle
      • Suggested that InfraSec have a chance to review the included services as part of the annual process
      • Discussion of how best to get IT input
    • Exchange Migration
      • Some statistics on migration were shared and noted that communications that had been sent out increased the number of migrations
      • Discussion of specific cases
      • Noted that mail will be maintained on the servers for a short time after the deadline
      • Discussion of email forwarding and related issues
  • Shared Services
    • End-Point Management Working Group
      • Noted that the group looked at a Garner guide which listed approximately twenty end-point management services
      • The technical group identified seven potential vendors which will be reviewed to make a final recommendation
      • When asked how the committee would like to provide input on the vendors being considered, it was suggested that the subcommittee make a recommendation to the InfraSec committee
      • Discussion of next steps, once a recommendation is made
      • Noted that there is currently no service offering of SCCM from Urbana
      • Some end-point management services have been offered by Urbana but do not meet the needs of UIC
      • Noted that there is some urgency in finding a solution to meet university risk management requirements
      • Once a recommendation is made, it will be sent back to the requirements group for review
  • Strategic Issues
    • HIPAA Audit
      • There was a HIPAA audit of the HSCs and a report was generated
      • Recurring meetings with HIPAA liaisons have been set up to address the audit findings
    • Cloud Computing
      • Working on completing security policies to be able to roll out the service
      • No timeline is currently available
    • IT Strategy
      • Mentioned that the IT Strategy document was presented to the Main Council at their last meeting
      • Noted that the Council made some suggestions such as including UI Health, which will be worked on
      • Noted that the chairs had additional comments and would like to meet with the CIO and integrate all of the comments into the final draft of the strategy document
    • iLeCT
      • Noted that there is an upcoming iLeCT event on Outlook calendars and meeting management, members were encouraged to attend
      • Another upcoming event at SPH on emotional intelligence was mentioned
      • Committee members were encouraged to consider their staff members who may be interested in joining iLeCT
  • Subcommittees
    • Security Program
      • Noted that the UISO Q5 meeting is upcoming, an email announcement went out
      • UISO rollout documents are available in the subcommittee folder
      • Noted that the security program timeline has been adjusted
      • Suggested that the subcommittee has a goal of increasing UISO community interaction
      • Discussion of changing language of “quarters” to “phrases” in the security program timeline
    • Regional Sites
      • The subcommittee is looking at a way to look at student IT fees
      • Questioned how to find out how the IT fees are being spent on UIC’s campus
      • The annual meeting of the Student Fee Advisory Committee, where the library and ACCC share how the fee was used in the past year, and plans for the upcoming year were spoken of
    • Risk Management/Risk Assessment
      • Suggested that email communication will be going out
    • Digital Signage
      • A solution is being worked on
  • Announcements and Updates
    • Symantec
      • Suggested that Symantec at AHS has been deployed
    • VM Servers
      • Suggested that work is being done to move VM servers to the new infrastructure but it will take time
    • Encryption
      • Noted the ongoing problem of encryption not working on Apple OS will be looked into

InfraSec 10.11.17 Minutes

Attending:

Frank Cervone, Marcin Hiolski, Shannon Redden, Daniel Paz-Horta, Ateeq Rahman, Allen Randall, Mike Kirda, Phil Reiter, Matt Miller, Miguel Martin, Julio Chavarria, Lisa Blake, Scott Rozman, Dan Pollack, Elizabeth Romero, Mike Toussaint, Vinay Surpuriya, Lalo Camacho, Therese Molina, Bala Ramaraju, Mark Goedert, Andre Pavkovic, Doug McCarthy, Kevin Price, Chris Barton, Kirsten Pielstrom, Esteban Perez, Janet Shaw, Heather O’Leary

  • Service Issues and Updates
    • 2FA for HRFE/PARIS
      • A presentation on 2FA updates was given
      • Noted that there was an internal audit finding related to Banner
      • Customer impact of implementing 2FA and security needs, policy related to using phones vs. tokens, and risk and contingency were gone over
      • Suggested that there is not yet a deadline for expiring temporary waivers
      • Suggested that a team may start to look at these metrics
    • Exchange Migration
      • A presentation on the current status of the migration was shared
      • Communications will start going out to those who have not migrated
      • Discussion of how to migrate mail for those who have not migrated by timeline
      • Suggested that there is a privacy and security issue with having department IT migrating mail on behalf of a faculty or staff member
      • Suggested that accessing names of those who need to migrate is available in PB
      • Reasons why emails are initially rejected before being scanned were listed
    • Unified Communications
      • Suggested that the committee members had been added to the WebEx pilot
      • ISE has been rolled out and VPN is currently being worked on
      • Spark is also coming soon and will also be piloted
      • Cisco Unity is coming in order to get voicemail off of Asterisk and is currently waiting on funding for licenses
      • Noted that ITGC meetings will switch to WebEx in January
      • Discussion of extra tools on WebEx
      • Discussion of ISE and possible uses
      • Suggested holding a separate meeting to further discuss Unified Communications once these services are made available
    • Cloud Services
      • Noted that the contracts are still under discussion
      • Mentioned that Pharmacy had met with Microsoft to discuss Azure
      • Capabilities, monitoring, training, and pilot opportunities were gone over
      • Noted that ACCC is working on the process to get units access to Azure
      • Noted that contracts with AWS and Google are in the works and will be made available eventually
      • Suggested that communication be sent about how to start with Azure
    • IAM
      • A presentation on IAM was given, noting that it has been a year since OIDPW went live
      • Upcoming changes and NetID and password statistics were gone over
      • Next steps, including a midpoint upgrade which will cause a short outage, were outlined
  • Shared Services
    • End-Point Management
      • Suggested that the working group has been working on updates and looking at different vendors and options
  • Strategic Issues
    • End-Point Management Strategy
      • Suggested that, in order to comply with HIPAA regulations, end-point management strategy is necessary
      • A presentation outlining the current situation, issues with different OS models, and possible solutions was given
      • Suggested that there is a need to get numbers from each unit to be able to assess needs
      • Suggested to consider the cost of labor in managing whatever solution is selected
      • Discussion of various concerns about the EPM and how to best implement a solution as well as FTE needs
      • Proposed that, when a recommendation comes from the working group, that all members participate in order to find a solution as soon as possible
    • Rethinking IT Governance
      • Suggested that over the next year, the structure of IT governance at UIC will be re-thought
      • Volunteers who would be interested in participating in a working group were asked for
  • Subcommittees
    • Web Tech Governance
      • Noted that the subcommittee is working to get all UIC websites onto the HTTPS protocol to avoid getting a not-secure warning from Chrome and increase trust in UIC websites
      • The subcommittee is asking for analytics from units across campus to determine who needs to switch over
      • Guidelines will be posted on the web tech governance website
    • Risk Management/Risk Assessment
      • Noted that the survey that will be going out is being worked on
    • Digital Accessibility
      • Noted that some new members have joined this subcommittee
      • Working to redesign the access website into the new UIC Red platform and better organize accessibility
      • Planning to use an enterprise web accessibility evaluation tool
    • Security Program
      • The new subcommittee chair was introduced
      • Suggested that the subcommittee updated their bylaws
      • Noted that the fifth rollout document has been completed and they are working on the sixth rollout
      • Suggested that the SANs was rebooted back in February and new training policies have been applied to the units
      • Suggested that SANs training should be part of the onboarding process
  • Other Issues
    • Campus Resources for WordPress Red
      • Suggested there were some issues not being addressed by the Web Services Committee
      • Suggested bringing this as an agenda item to the next meeting
      • Questions form the committee will be gathered to be addressed at the next meeting
      • A road map for migration was requested

InfraSec 09.13.17 Minutes

Attending:

Frank Cervone, Charles Nutall, Bill Lim, Sam Hyman, Bill Sullivan, Paul Neumann, Shahid Virani, Dean Dang, Bala Ramaraju, Jelene Crehan, Mike Kirda, Ed Zawacki, Eddie Campbell, Allen Randall, Elizabeth Romero, Marcin Hiolski, Matt Miller, Mark Goedert, Ernesto Reyna, Lisa Blake, Jason Maslanka, Phil Reiter, Sara Ritch, Miguel Martin, Will Marcyniuk, Ian Huggins, Chris Barton, {Audits}, Doug McCarthy, Kirsten Pielstrom, Mike Toussaint, Trish and Justin from Peoria, Vinay Surpuriya, Teresa Molina, Deric Criss, Ron Fernandez, Heather O’Leary

  • Converged Communication and Networking
    • Cisco ISE
      • There was a presentation on Identity Service Engine – what it is used for, previous challenges, and solutions
      • Examples of devices and what the device portal looks like were given
    • VPN
      • Commercial VPN to replace old standard VPN
      • No rollout date yet, but in progress
    • Cisco WebEx/Spark Pilot
      • The WebEx contract has been signed, but not yet connected to Single Sign-on
      • A pilot will be started once this is completed
      • Initial rollout will be conference services only
      • A demo of Spark, a collaboration tool which also integrates Box, was given
      • Spark will be released to all UIC, including students
      • Spark rooms were described and how they work
      • Noted that Spark will also be on Single Sign-On and will have a pilot
      • Noted that the data for WebEx and Spark is stored in the cloud
      • WebEx can be HIPAA compliant, Spark is not
      • Discussion on how this may or may not integrate Blackboard tools
      • Suggested that ACCC will do testing to determine the best solutions
      • Noted that ACCC will not dictate how to use these tools, but will provide support
      • Discussion on how to make sure faculty are involved and informed
      • Whether or not Spark is FERPA compliant will be looked into
    • Cisco Unity Migration
      • Mentioned that the Astrix voicemail system has been stretched beyond capacity
      • Astrix will be replaced with Cisco Unity to improve support and user experience
      • Changes in the user experience – voice prompts, reporting, etc. were discussed
      • Noted that eventually there will be visual voicemail
      • Noed that this change will make support much easier
      • Suggested that this is related to the Unified Communications project and will tie into Jabber and WebEx
      • Suggested that current issues include licensing and phone number ownership
  • Cloud Services via SHI
    • Azure
      • A presentation on Microsoft Azure was given
      • There is a BAA to make it HIPAA, FERPA, etc. compliant
      • Noted that there is not yet a project proposal for this service
      • What cloud computing is, Azure Compute, Storage, and Networking were gone over
      • Noted that Microsoft and Lynda have trainings available
      • Suggested keeping all data within the US
      • Also suggested that local cloud storage would not interact with cloud storage
      • Discussion on different storage options
      • Discussion of permissions and ACLs
    • Amazon and Google
      • Google and Amazon will be included in the IPHEC contract
  • Service Experience Team in ACCC
    • New Team
      • Noted that the LTS and US teams in ACCC have been combined into a single team to work on service experience
      • Telecom has moved to networks, all other ACCC support functions are under the new team
      • New team includes a communication and engagement team, a learning management group, and admin/operations
      • Suggested that the new team is working to standardize all support in ACCC
    • Ink Printing Pilot
      • Student feedback has been very positive
      • Some statistics were shared with the committee
      • After ten print jobs, students receive a survey about their experience and this data will be used to determine whether to expand Ink to the whole campus
      • A remote campus pilot was asked about
      • The RFP process was asked about
      • Suggested that the survey data will be used during the RFP and the process will begin as soon as possible
    • 2FA for Banner Forms Support
      • Coming in September for faculty and staff
      • Suggested that authentication will only be required once a day
      • ACCC support is prepared
      • Suggested that documentation is available in Answers on the ACCC website
      • Some slides on 2FA with project updates were presented
      • Noted that tokens will be available in the WebStore
      • The contingency plan was gone over
      • An updated list of people at risk on the go live date was requested
      • Further discussion of tokens
    • uic
      • uic Service Discover was presented on
      • Noted that this is a campus resource, not limited to ACCC services
      • Noted that the site is currently live
      • A demo of the site was given
      • Suggested that all services could go into the platform if they were appropriately tagged
      • Suggested that other roles could be added to address needs of different groups
      • Noted that some services go into the ACCC service catalog, some launch the service, and some go into other sites such as AITS
      • Suggested that ONE.UIC will replace the ACCC service catalog
  • Symantec Endpoint License
    • Noted that it will be available and is in the process of being renewed
  • Strategic Issues
    • Understanding IT Spend
      • Suggested that there is a need to know how money is being spent on IT at department, university, and system levels
      • Noted that there is an IT expense data cube which shows money tagged as IT spends
      • If access to the cube is granted for a subcommittee, all the data becomes public
      • Suggested that this may be helpful in looking at duplication and considering shared services
  • Shared Services
    • Endpoint Management Working Group
      • First meeting was held by the subcommittee and they are evaluating end-point management options using Gartner research and creating a list of which services meet requirements
      • A list will be sent to the committee
  • Other Issues
    • AY18 Meeting Schedule
      • Meetings will continue to be held at the same time
      • Work is being done on IT strategy and the revamping of ITGC
    • Rate and Funding
      • Numbers have been shared but no decisions have been made yet
      • A committee will review what is being proposed
      • Once approval is received, there will be a presentation to InfraSec on the rate and funding
      • How the services included in the rate are decided was questioned
      • Suggested that the services were decided with input from the campus, but the decision is financial and based on what the campus can afford to support
      • Noted that ACCC is looking for a tool to automate the rate and funding process for future fiscal years
      • How InfraSec can be involved in the process was questioned
      • Suggested that as the IT strategic plan is created and the ITGC is being revamped, this should be part of the discussion
      • Discussion on need to drive funding process to focus on need rather than cost
  • Subcommittees
    • IS-0002 Digital Accessibility
      • Continuing to work on accessibility testing tool and making sure Red sites are accessible

InfraSec 08.09.17 Minutes

Attending:

Mark Goedert, Lisa Blake, Dan Paz Horta, Sandeep Dath, Phil Reiter, Bala Ramaraju, Mike Kirda, Ashok Bennett, Matt Miller, Therese Molina, Jason Maslanka, Deric Criss, Sarah Ritch, Ed Zawacki, Mike Toussaint, Ernesto Reyna, Kevin Price, Edward Campbell, Ateeq Rahman, Ron Fernandez, Marcin Hiolski, Frank Cervone, Juilo Chavarria, Dean Dang, Chris Barton, Gene Fruit, Dan Pollack, Ian Huggins, Vinay Surpuriya

  • Chair’s Remarks
    • Formal Thank You and Moving Forward
      • The new chair thanked the committee for electing him
      • Mentioned how the committee has made significant progress and moved forward over the years
      • Suggested using a content agenda for organization
    • Pilot of Cloud Printing Project
      • There was a presentation on the new pilot printing program called Ink
      • Mentioned that this program will be presented to the campus in the fall
      • Discussion on the program, potential issues, and accreditation
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Digital Accessibility
      • Noted that this group is gearing up for the fall
      • Mentioned the possibility of doing more with FAE if possible
    • Digital Signage
      • Noted that this group is working on a proposal and will present to the committee soon
    • Risk Management/Risk Assessment
      • Noted that responses from those assigned to roles are incoming and more information will be presented at a later date
    • Security Program
      • Noted that there is still work being done on the annual report as well as the Q5 and Q6 rollouts
      • Discussion on the timeline and intricacies of rollouts
      • Discussion of resources and other concerns and issues
    • Regional Sites
      • Group is set to meet later this month
    • Web Tech Governance
      • Noted that this group has decided to end the pursuit of a unified search engine across campus due to Red
      • Mentioned that they are looking into adopting Red as a full step solution
      • Mentioned that there was a discussion on the cloud service as well as the the possibility of adopting AWS for development
  • Issues in Progress
    • Cloud Services at UIC
      • Mentioned that ACCC had an internal gathering to discuss cloud services
      • Suggested the task of narrowing the scope of an old proposal that did not survive the feasibility phase
      • Mentioned that a group within ACCC is currently in the process of reviewing all of the cloud service contracts
    • Clarification of Email Forwarding
      • Mentioned where faculty and staff are routing their email accounts is being monitored
      • Noted that 55% are routing to Exchange while 45% are routing to UIC Gmail
      • Suggested that there is currently an option to migrate between Exchange and Gmail, but there is being work done to make the migration to Exchange permanent
      • Discussion on Exchange versus Gmail
    • Shared Services
      • The people on the requirement group were thanked for getting the document mostly completed
      • The next meeting will be scheduled soon
    • Update on AITS Status, Urbana Governance, and Power Plant
      • Mentioned that ther4e is a developing shared servie around endpoint management down state that will be deploying soon
      • A meeting to discuss this service possibly coming to UIC will be facilitated
      • An update on AITS was given
      • Discussion on AITS as a whole
    • Status of New VPN
      • Mentioned that Networks has everything in place and are waiting on CDW to get resources on site
      • There are hopes that it will be ready to go by the end of the month
      • Noted that there will most likely be a short pilot within sixty days
      • Discussion on the new client Any Connect
    • IT Areas of Responsibility
      • The group gathered to document the IT areas of responsibility was mentioned and their goals were explained
    • iLeCT Update
      • Stated that this group is looking to establish a long-term, professional badging program
    • College/Unit Websites
      • Noted that there has been confusion on this subject
      • Discussion on the expectations of college/unit websites
  • New Issues
    • Meeting Schedule in AY 2018
      • Discussion on possibly changing the current meeting time
    • Nominations for Vice Chair
      • Mentioned that nominations for the AY18 Vice Chair are needed
    • ISE
      • Noted that ISE is an ongoing project that has kicked off
      • Explained that they are working with CDW to build profiles for the students
      • What this group does was explained
    • Announcements and Updates
      • Password Update
        • Short discussion on password change and what is required
      • Networks Update
        • Noted that WebEx and Spark are coming
        • Mentioned that Unity will be replacing Asterisk

InfraSec 07.12.17 Minutes

Attending:

Jason Maslanka, Sandeep Dath, Chris Barton, Ed Zawacki, Ian Huggins, Sarah Ritch, Mike Kirda, Bala Ramaraju, Kirsten Pielstrom, Mark Goedert, Allen Randall, Andre Pavkovic, Doug McCarthy, Frank Cervone, Matt Miller, Elizabeth Romero, Ateeq Rahman, Daniel Paz-Horta, Vinay Surpuriya, Lisa Blake, Miguel Martin, Ron Fernandez, Ernesto Reyna, Michael Toussaint, Shannon Redden

  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Digital Accessibility
      • Continuing to look into the viability of Functional Accessibility Evaluation tool
    • Digital Signage
      • Finishing up the final model for delivery
      • Doing some last minute testing
    • Risk Management/Risk Assessment
      • Call for role assignments was sent to HIPAA liaisons
      • Survey will be sent out
    • Security Program
      • Completing the review of responses to first UISO annual report
      • Findings will be presented to InfraSec
    • Regional Sites
      • Discussed MOR Leadership Conference
      • Recap of Rockford and Peoria visits
      • COM is waiting for feedback from ACCC on specific issues
    • Web Tech Governance
      • Will take up issue of search engines in August
  • New Business
    • Cloud Implementation
      • Meetings about cloud implementation which require network configuration to be used on campus were held
      • The committee was asked what the priority should be
      • Suggested agreeing on one cloud service that meets the most needs
      • Discussion on what has been done so far and what else should be considered
      • The committee will be presented to in September
      • Suggested bringing in vendors, giving them use cases, ask asking about potential solutions
  • Shared Services
    • End Point Management
      • A list of requirements has been created
      • A document is being worked on to share with the group
  • Chair Report
    • Thank You
      • The current chair thanked the committee for all he had learned in his time as chair
    • ITGC Review Future
      • Review is ongoing
      • Input from past InfraSec meeting will be taken into consideration as information is sent to the provost and decisions are made
    • HR IT Position Committee
      • The appeals committee has an upcoming meeting
    • HR Meeting
      • There was a meeting about general HR concerns of the IT community
      • Support was offered in reviewing hiring process
    • UIC IT Community
      • A discussion on IT strategy, followed by a workshop looking at UIC Strategic Priorities was done at the MOR IT Leaders conference
      • A draft report was put together
      • Document is being shared with the MOR group for feedback
      • Suggested that this document fills a gap and links IT to the four strategies
    • Shared Services
      • The shared services framework will continue to be worked on
  • Group Discussion
    • Urbana Tech Council and Power Plant
      • Noted that Urbana would like to offer a shared service for end point management
      • A document with pricing was shared
      • Suggested that Urbana first speak to the end point management technical group
      • Discussion of when the rollout will be, how it will happen, and whether it will be included in the basic bundle
      • Discussion on requirements
    • TEM
      • A presentation on changes to TEM was given
      • Noted that Rockford and Peoria have been included in the network
      • Suggested reaching out to HR employees
  • Announcements
    • UIC Web Committee Reprisal
      • Noted that the committee who initially made decisions about Red.uic.edu is being brought back together to discuss the future of Red
    • Unified Communication
      • Cost analysis to determine cost savings of discontinuing some services and true cost of UC are being worked on
      • Noted that Enterprise licenses are needed by August
      • Cost savings of switching to WebEx was gone over
      • Further discussion of which services may be discontinued, how rate and funding will be affected, and getting buy-in of IT leaders before determining the rate
      • More information will be sent to the InfraSec listserv
    • Hardware VPN
      • Noted there is an upcoming meeting to work on high level design
      • Low level design will be determined later
      • Stetement of work should be ready soon
    • Exchange Migration
      • Communication from ACCC was requested on the migration to address concerns on the Academy
      • Suggested posting to news.uic.edu
      • Concern was voiced about email archived on Mailserv
      • Discussion of now to communicate the migration to campus

InfraSec 06.14.17 Minutes

Attending:

Jason Maslanka, Phil Reiter, Matt Miller, Frank Cervone, Sandeep Dath, Kirsten Pielstrom, Ernesto Reyna, Mike Kirda, Ian Huggins, Sandy De Groote, Sarah Ritch, Elizabeth Romero, Allen Randall, Mark Goedert, Marcin Hiolski, Vinay Surpuriya, Therese Molina, Dan Pollack, Ian Huggins, Doug McCarthy, Andre Pavkovic, Lisa Blake, Ateeq Rahman, Daniel Paz-Horta, Kevin Price, Ashok Bennett, Chris Barton, Dean Dang, Michael Toussaint, Ron Fernandez

  • Faculty Activity Profile Tool
    • Infrastructure Framework
      • Noted that there is an effort to select a campus wide profiling tool
      • A committee is looking at various toold and putting together a list opf requirements
      • The committee was asked to look at the RFP and consider what infrastructure would be needed to access the data for the tool
      • Working on a timeline for implementation, and the committee was asked to give regular updates of the review project
      • Discussion on how this tool might interact with the START MyResearch portal as well as funding and RFI
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Digital Accessibility
      • Had a successful presentation at ITPF
      • Questioning whether UIC needs own version of FAE on campus
      • Looking to create a shared campus
    • Digital Signage
      • Meeting soon to finalize details
      • Goal is to start installing signs at start of fall semester
    • Risk Management/Assessment
      • Submitted final surveys for HIPAA liaisons to review
    • Security Program
      • Making sure the last rollout is completed before rolling out next quarters
    • Regional Sites
      • There were meetings which involved both the Rockford and Peoria campuses
      • There is now a better sense of the teams and tools being used at each campus
    • Web Tech Governance
      • Will be reevaluating whether the search engine optimization still needs to be reviewed
  • Old Business
    • HR Global Degree Requirement
      • Once the next meeting is scheduled, the charge of the HR advisory committee would be the review appeals on Civil Service positions
      • Since the committee is concerned about lack of action, it was suggested to write a letter to the HR advisory committee
      • Discussion of ineffectiveness of actions already taken
  • Shared Services
    • Endpoint Management
      • A list of requirements has been created, still working on report
      • Noted that Urbana is working on an endpoint management plan that may or may not involve UIC
  • Chair’s Report
    • IT Department Level Responsibilities
      • Suggested that the role of department IT has not been defined
      • Discussion on whether to define role or map out current work to determine an ideal state
      • Discussion on importance of defining roles
      • Concerns voiced about AITS functions being merged with Urbana
  • Group Discussion
    • ITGC Recommendations Report Group Exercise
      • Noted that the report includes five recommendations and the committee was asked to break into groups and discuss potential solutions to each
    • Purpose and Mandate
      • Agreed on need to address mandate, leadership, etc.
      • Need new strategic plan
      • Define who makes decisions and where services sit
    • IT Leadership Model
      • Agreed that the split of responsibilities of CIO and ACCC director is important for implementing a strategic vision for IT
    • Re-brand
      • Noted that re-branding is dependent on what comes of other recommendations
      • Discussion on different ways to re-brand ITGC
    • Structure
      • Disagreed with the simplification and suggested that the structure be broader and more representative
    • Communications and Onboarding
      • Noted that consistency is needed in replacing members from leadership
      • Suggested mentorship pairing for new members
      • A governance arrangement matrix was shared
  • Announcements and Updates
    • UIC Web Committee
    • Committee is being reprised and a survey will be sent out asking for requirements
    •  iLeCT
      • The IT MOR Leadership Conference is coming up
    • iOS Workshop
      • An Apple representative will be at UIC to host an upcoming workshop
    •  Email
      • Noted that mail will stop being routed to Tigger and Mailserv and will be routed to Exchange instead
      • Users will be unable to route mail to off-campus mail services
    •  Voicemail
      • Changes will be coming to voicemail
      • The committee will work with the networks director to find the best way to communicate to the end users when the changes are made