InfraSec 11.14.18 Minutes

Attending:

Chris Barton, Kirsten Pielstrom, Bala Ramaraju, Alex Phistry, Marcin Hiolski, Anthony Marino, Doug McCarthy, Matt Miller, Jason Maslanka, Frank Cervone, Phil Reiter, Andre Pavkovic, Therese Molina, Ateeq Rahman, Julio Chavarria, Ed Zawacki, Miguel Martin, Esteban Perez, Daniel Paz-Horta, Esther Verreau, Dean Dang, Sarah Ritch, Vinay Surpuriya, Ashok Bennet, Elizabeth Romero, Lalo Camacho, Ernesto Reyna

  • UI Systems Report and Discussion Topics
    • UI Systems ITSM and Ticketing System Project
      • The effort on whether there is a solution for a ticketing system to be used across the UofI system, particularly how the IT community across the universities work and communicate, was gone over
      • Suggested that the working group re-scoped their charge to expand from a ticketing system to include a service management platform
      • Suggested that one subgroup of the working group is focused on requirements gathering, and another is focused on gap analysis
      • Next steps in this initiative were mentioned
      • Discussion on the particulars of this effort, different system options, and potential cost
      • Further discussion on this effort and its potential benefits
  • UIC Reports
    • Azure Update
      • Suggested that this project is still waiting with CDW due to contractual issues regarding risk assessment and the strategy for finding audits for cloud
      • A conversation on adding another training and proof of concept lab for Azure was mentioned
      • An email will be sent out to gather available dates for training
      • How to expedite the process of getting Azure across UIC’s campus was asked about
      • Discussion on Azure and the rollout process
    • EPM (SCCM) Update
      • Mentioned that are 7,300 PC devices are registered within our system center infrastructure and about 200 devices are registered in JAMF
      • Noted that a few departments are still being on-boarded
      • Noted that there have been outstanding issues which are actively being looked into
      • Suggested that feedback is being solicited from the UIC EPM group
      • Noted that the landscape of HIPAA management should be changing within the next fiscal year and that phase two is being deployed
      • Suggested that feedback from the upcoming EPM meeting will be shared
    • Learned Technologies Roadmap Update
      • Noted that a presentation was submitted
      • Mentioned that Ink is gone and Wepa is now being used with few issues
      • Suggested that Wepa is seemingly more positive and the group is getting ready to make a decision on whether or not to move forward with it
      • The pilot has been extended through the spring semester
      • Noted that the process of working on an RFP to bring Wepa in as the campus solution has started
      • Noted that the group will work with each department to see if Wepa or Pharos works better for them
      • Suggested that this group is looking to cut the cluster of machines who use Pharos in half and are reviewing and potentially implementing those changes within the next few months
      • Suggested that integration with paying via Dragon Dollars has gone well, the integration of Blackboard has been helpful for students, and that Wepa is going to be adding Apple Pay capabilities and NFC to their stations
      • Suggested that the group will look into the Pharos licensing model
      • Discussion on the different printing systems, cost, and potential solutions
      • Mentioned that Learning Environments has new projects coming up
      • Noted that a new, 120-seat active-learning classroom in SES will be opening in the Spring
      • Mentioned that the new building is ahead of schedule and will be open for the Fall 2019 semester
      • Mentioned that UIC will be replacing 45 old-gen systems before the end of Summer 2020
      • Mentioned learning technologies in regard to software systems
      • Suggested that this group has started looking at streaming systems
      • Noted that this group has started moving and looking into new systems specifically for teaching and learning
      • Noted that some of the systems being looked at are Panopto and ilos and each have had pilots conducted
      • The process of purchasing Panopto has started
      • Suggested that the contract should be finalized by the end of the month
      • Discussion on the cost and functionality differences and similarities between Sharestream, Panopto, and Echo360
      • The Blackboard Ultra migration from their servers in Virginia to the cloud was mentioned
      • Suggested that there about 80 people participating in the Blackboard Ultra pilot
      • Noted that feedback is being collected to make sure phase two is ready
      • Suggested that a communication campaign to inform faculty on the coming changed with Blackboard Ultra will start December 10, and there will be monthly webinar training starting in January 2019 until August
      • Noted that the integration from UIC’s current Blackboard system is planned to coincide with ACCC’s maintenance window in May
      • A pilot coming in Spring 2019 called the Accessibility Checker was mentioned and gone over
  • UIC Discussion Topic
    • IT Community, Shared Services, Professional Development
      • An email sent a few weeks ago on the progress of this initiative was mentioned
      • Suggested that five areas were used as guiding principles
      • Suggested that the next step coming of two groups is to survey the current REACH and other technology sub-communities
      • The results of the survey will be shared at a later date
    • Email Banner Proposal and Other Security Recommendations
      • Previous proposals pertaining to the concept of beginning to approach data rooms or data centers’ infrastructure were mentioned
      • Some of the benefits were mentioned
      • A proposal pertaining on email tagging was mentioned
      • Suggested if there were a way of highlighting more emails coming from outside the UIC domain, it may eliminate some of the problems facing the campus
      • Suggested that UIC’s current infrastructure does not allow for email tagging and the issues associated to email tagging were addressed
      • Programs that could help with the problem were mentioned
      • Discussion on email concerns, email tagging, and potential solutions
    • Liaison Role of Subcommittees with Functional Operations in Units
      • Suggested there are subcommittees that deal with issues outside of the InfraSec Committee and circumstances and contexts have changed over time
      • Suggested that the committee think about which subcommittees should be disbanded and kept
      • Discussion on the subcommittees’ relevance
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Web Tech Governance
      • An update on the HTTPS 4 All Initiative was shared
      • Suggested that 163 sites are live within Red and 188 sites are in development
      • Suggested that ACCC’s EAD hosted a code source management training
      • A meeting was held to discuss how to improve the Red platform and some of the tooling that Pixo created with more widespread technologies
      • The subcommittee scanned over 13,000 domains—4,000 of which came back as viable domains
      • Of the 4,000 domains, 700 were bad
      • Suggested that this project is still relevant due to major browsers getting stricter on how they treat traffic over time
      • Suggested that major browsers are going to standardize HTTPS
      • Suggested that there are plans in ACCC to improve Red’s performance
      • An update on GDPR in regard to the banner cookie notification was mentioned
      • Minor discussion on GDPR
  • Announcements and Updates
    • iLeCT Updates and Upcoming Events
      • Suggested that iLeCT is plotting out their spring events
      • Have transitional things going on
      • A desire to put together a series of informal IT gathers was mentioned
      • It was asked if networking events could be held during work hours
      • Suggested that iLeCT will look into hosting more events during workday hours