Research 01.05.17 Minutes

Attending:

Henrik Aratyn, Colleen Kehoe, Andy Boyd, Pavel Petukhov, Bob Sandusky, Jaqueline Berger, Dick Harris, Himanshu Sharma, Allen Randall, Ugo Buy

  • IT Governance Council Meeting
    • Meeting Recap
      • The Council tabled proposals until February
      • The Council asked for a report listing ITGC requests with ACCC’s basic infrastructure needs
      • Members were asked to rank proposals by importance and resubmit in February
      • Suggested that CCTS is also reviewing the proposal and it has been well received
      • Suggested that if the VCAA and VCHA along with some PIs contributed to the effort, the proposal could be funded
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Institutional Stewardship of Data
      • Noted that an email requesting responses on NIH data sharing was sent out
    • Research Computing Infrastructure
      • Noted that there is an HPCC board that will become the ACER executive board
    • Human Infrastructure/Human Networking
      • Suggested that there are two issues: collecting and disseminating data
      • Noted that there needs to be an effective way of finding out and sharing campus needs
      • Suggested that there should be a form of communication between the committee and research deans in the colleges
      • Suggested finding out what researchers are looking for from the committee as well as how to relay what the committee has done in exchange for feedback
  • Old Business
    • Public Affairs
      • Noted that Michael Redding will attend a future meeting to discuss representation of research on the UIC website
      • Discussion of what Sherri McGuiness Gonzales presented in a previous meeting
  • New Business
    • Introduction of ACER
      • ACCC has formed a new group – Advanced Cyberinfrastructure for Education and Research (ACER)
      • Suggested that the HPCC has been going well as a single point of contact for researchers
      • Suggested that services such as Secure Research Environment, networking, and storage will be expanded under ACER
      • Noted that there will be one email for all researchers to contact
      • Noted that UIC received an NSF Major Research Instrumentation grant to build a new data cluster
      • Currently searching for a vendor to supply the equipment
      • Noted that UIC also received a networking grant for a science DMZ
      • This grant will be used for enhancing the capability of our research network as well allow for more collaboration with other institutions
      • Discussion of need for secure data storage

Admin 12.16.16 Minutes

Attending:

Jackie Finch, Gloria Keeley, Eric McMinoway, Kavin Chan, Kasey Wilken, Linda Naru, Dimuthu Tilakaratne, Cynthia Cobb, Tony Kerber, John Fudacz, Vanessa Peoples, Heather O’Leary

  • My-UI-Financials Phase 2 Project
    • Presentation
      • A presentation was given highlighting upcoming enhancements, a timeline of phase two, and major features
      • Discussion of possible features that could be added
      • Further discussion on how to create reports on specific data
  • ITPC
    • Updates
      • Current project highlights of the ITPC report were gone over
      • Current and upcoming mandatory projects were outlined
      • Mentioned that the biennial inventory is underway
      • Tests on mobile tools should take place in January
      • Noted that the UPB phone implementation had gone through and feedback from members was requested
      • Suggested that some people found the menu confusing
      • User stories for Capital Projects have been being created
      • Concern was voiced about sub-contractors not being able to access the system
  • Faculty Profiling Tool
    • Tools and Concerns
      • Noted that an announcement looking at options for a faculty profiling tool had gone out
      • Concern about who is making decisions, how it may overlap with other tools in different colleges, and whether it had been vetted was voiced
      • Suggested that other committees have been involved and had seen presentations on various tools
    • Recommendations
      • Suggested that there should be a better way for committees to communicate with each other
      • Noted that within SPH, the various ITGC reps do not necessarily communicate between themselves
      • The report of recommendations will be ready by the end of December

 

 

Education 12.06.16 Minutes

Attending:

Val Prater, Martina Bode, Ernie Duran, Michael Scott, Saul Weiner, Annie Armstrong, Marieke Schoen, Michael Siciliano, John Fyfe, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Jon Art, Anthony Marino, Mike Kamowski, Alana Steffen, Kim Richards, Heather O’Leary, Michael Hites

  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Personal Computing Devices
      • Noted that the Mobile Learning Initiative grant proposal had been approved by the council last year, but not funded
      • Subcommittee plans to resubmit this year
      • Some updates to the proposal are being worked on and will be ready by December 7th to send to the council
      • Discussion of TLC involvement in the proposal
      • Motion to approve, no opposition voiced
    • LMS Board
      • The board reevaluated the data on student and faculty use of Blackboard and a spreadsheet with raw numbers is available in Box
      • It was suggested that, according to the data, many users did not know how to use Blackboard
      • Suggested that a number of things in Blackboard need to be updated
      • Discussion on analyzing Blackboard and the best way to move forward
      • Discussion of the non-standardization of Blackboard sites, how templates could be supplied, and faculty reaction
      • Noted that a major Blackboard security update has been pushed back
  • Standing Reports
    • TLC
      • 39 teaching scholars were selected to be matched with a mater teaching scholar as a mentor
      • Mentioned that course evaluations have gone out and are now closed
      • Reports will be released to faculty on December 15th
      • Noted that the TLC has been hosting a number of workshops and conversations
      • New resources now available on the website
  • Old Business
    • ACCC SLAs
      • Noted that a number of SLAs from ACCC have been asked to be reviewed by the committee
      • Members commented on a spreadsheet of each service
      • Suggested that there could be a number of different response times depending on the severity of a situation
      • Noted the difficulty of getting data out of the Request Tracker ticketing system
      • ACCC working to address this difficulty
      • Noted that resolution times are measurable, response times are not
      • Once data is available, response windows can be adjusted
      • Suggested to introduce a troubleshooting forum where users can look for help
      • More details on what each service is, what problems people may be encountering, and support available was asked for
      • Proposed having an experienced user “certification” showing one knows how to troubleshoot and get a faster response time
      • Suggested including a service status page as one troubleshooting step
      • Noted that there are services where ACCC is troubleshooting a problem but there are standard services where there is no problem
      • Suggested that there are “service requests” vs. “incidents”
      • Feedback will eventually be shared
    • ITGC Assessment
      • Last survey went out
      • Working on compiling all feedback into a report of recommendations
    • TechTeach
      • Noted that there were about 150 attendees
      • Feedback was very positive
      • Planning committee met afterwards to brainstorm ideas for increasing attendance
      • Suggested for future conferences to consider inviting outsiders to present sessions
      • Suggested to have more TLC involvement
      • Discussion of bringing in outside attendees as additional revenue stream
      • Further discussion of possible half-day conference
      • Suggested to hold hands-on working sessions in afternoon

Research 12.01.16 Minutes

Attending:

Henrik Aratyn, Ugo Buy, Jaqueline Berger, Sara Hall, Houshang Darabi, Laura Nieves, Bob Sandusky, Colleen Kehoe, Annette Valenta, Heather O’Leary, Allen Randall, Phil Reiter, Karen Dunn Lopez, Andy Boyd, Teresa Johnston, Michael Hites

  • Recap of Public Affairs Discussion
    • Committee reviewed last month’s minutes and advice from Public Affairs
    • Emphasized that it is important for researchers to notify Public Affairs as early as possible for potential press releases
    • Mentioned that colleges have communication contacts who can reach out to Public Affairs
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Data Management/Data Curation
      • A presentation recapping the current state of research data management at UIC was shared
      • Initial proposal was not funded
      • Suggested the subcommittee try to re-scope the proposal to get it funded
      • Subcommittee proposing a pilot for PI-facing services OVCR site, a review of open source data repository platforms, implementation of data repository, and integrate with related services
      • Justification of the proposal, consequences of not implementing it, and benefits of the pilot were gone over
      • Volunteer resources and pilot timeline were gone over
      • A potential data repository at the National library of Medicine was mentioned and it was questioned how it would affect the pilot
      • Suggested that the NLM depository could work for high risk data while the campus had its own
      • Suggested that AITS has a research group and other resources available that could be requested through the ITPC proposal process
      • Where UIC stands in compliance with federal regulations and requirements was questioned
      • Noted that this analysis had not been done
      • Suggested that once a service is selected, how it would scale for larger datasets can be determined
      • Funding after grant runs out was questioned
      • Motion to approve, no opposition voiced
    • Human Infrastructure/Networking
      • No proposal as of yet, but it will be worked on over the winter
    • High Performance Research Computing
      • Noted that there are hopes to re-submit last year’s proposal
      • Noted that the cost of the proposal was previously suggested to be scaled down and asked how the committee could accomplish this
      • Noted that there is new storage available in ACCC
      • Questioned whether the request for nodes could be cut back and go forward as a pilot program
      • Concern voiced about cost inefficiency by scaling down
      • Discussion on likeliness of the proposal being funded and consequences to research at UIC if it is not
      • Suggested changing the context of the proposal to make it a priority in terms of keeping UIC competitive in research
      • Noted that the state budget situation had not improved, but that the proposal still needs to be submitted
      • Suggested to include a cover letter on the proposal with the most important justifications
      • Suggested having all involved researchers sign the cover letter voicing support
      • Motion to approve, no opposition voiced
  • Research Retreat
    • The idea of hosting a research retreat and how to create an agenda that will attract research deans and ensure high attendance was brought up
    • Suggested attaching the retreat to the monthly meeting of OVCR and research deans
    • Incentive was questioned and met with asking the research deans what they would like from the committee as well as sharing the committee’s current efforts and asking for help identifying gaps
    • Discussion on how to create an effective agenda
    • Suggested sending out an email ahead of time describing the committee, its accomplishments, and a few directed questions
    • Suggested that a concern is representation of the committee
    • Suggested tailoring the questions from the beginning of the year to fit the retreat
    • Noted a possibility of adding a Google Doc/other option to submit information ahead of time
    • Concern voiced about HIPAA
    • Suggested including information about digital humanities and other tops to include the East side

InfraSec 11.07.16 Minutes

Attending:

Marcin Hiolski, Miguel Martin, Lisa Blake, Jason Maslanka, Kevin Shalla, Ed Zawacki, Chris Barton, Andre Pavkovic, Mike Kirda, Barry White, Lalo Camacho, Allen Randall, Mark Goedert, Vinay Surpuriya, Doug McCarthy, Ron Fernandez, Mat Willis, Ernesto Reyna, Frank Cervone, Phil Reiter, Bala Ramaraju, Matt Miller, Shannon Redden, Dan Pollack, Therese Molina, Josh Naylor, Kevin Price, Gene Fruit

  • Subcommittee Records
    • Digital Accessibility
      • Met with UI Health website people, had a positive response
      • Suggested that groups can request an assessment
    • Digital Signage
      • Waiting on Industry Weapons for a problem with maps
    • Risk Management/Risk Assessment
      • Met to compose a letter to the provost requesting responses on past proposals
      • Looking to elect new chair
      • Will be sending out surveys soon to help address risk assessment
    • IT Security Program
      • Noted that while there are issues to be addressed, the subcommittee is working on linking guidelines to the program
    • Regional Sites
      • Discussed which services are available to regional sites
      • ACCC directors visited Peoria and it was suggested that visiting Rockford would also be helpful
      • Suggested to bring broader group of people
    • Web Tech Governance
      • Will be building website
      • Working on data sharing to provide content templates
  • New Business
    • Patch Management
      • Noted that there was a meeting to address concerns about BigFix as a supported service from Urbana
      • Concern was voiced about BigFix being discontinued without comment from ITGC
      • Possible patch management solutions were gone over
      • Concern expressed about UIC and Urbana not collaborating enough
      • Suggested that without a formal structure, it is difficult to ensure that shared services are maintained
      • Discussion on how to improve collaboration and communication between campuses
      • Further discussion on the discontinuation of BigFix and decisions leading up to it
      • Further discussion on relations between campuses as well as a need for documentation and accountability for service
  • Old Business
    • Risk Assessment Letter to Provost
      • A letter written to the provost requesting a revisit to the proposals submitted last year and a formal response was reviewed
      • Motion to approve the letter to be sent to the Council
      • Motion approved, no opposition voiced
      • Committee reviewed the risk assessment status addendum
    • Burwood Report
      • Feedback on the report as well as concerns about how UIC is collaborating with other campuses was provided
      • More information on pricing between Lync and Cisco was requested
      • Suggested that CDW will be providing a report on which would be better for UIC
      • Discussion on other options, costs, and support staff issues
      • Suggested that more information was needed, but a decision must be made soon
  • Project and Service Updates
    • ACCC Project Updates
      • Exchange Online is moving forward and updates can be found in the report
  • Chair’s Reports
    • Provost & Admin Rights
      • Discussion on reactions to the Provost’s announcement on admin rights
      • Discussion Topics and Announcements
    • Opsview
      • Questioned whether there is an interest on campus for Opsview to monitor servers
    • LeCT
      • Planning committee will be meeting more frequently
      • An HR event is being planned
      • A badging program is under construction
    • Security Training Lunch ‘n’ Learns
      • Suggested having events on security training which may be recorded and shared online
    • HRFE Access Blocked at AITS Firewall
      • Presentation was given on changes to HR Front End to mitigate risk
    • Duo Licensing
      • An update on Duo was shared
      • Discussion of Box and related policy concerns

Research 11.03.16 Minutes

Attending:

Annette Valenta, Houshang Darabi, Allen Randall, Himanshu Sharma, Teresa Johnston, Jacqueline Berger, Clyde Wheeler, Karen Dunn Lopez, Laura Nieves, Henrik Aratyn, Dick Harris, Michael Hites, Sherri McGinnis Gonzales, Cathleen Kehoe, Bob Sandusky, Neil Bahroos, Andy Boyd, Heather O’Leary

  • Public Affairs
    • Presentation
      • A presentation was given on Public Affairs and how the News Letter works
      • The committee was asked to help Public Affairs build a list of experts to have on-hand for interviews and comments to the press
      • Features on the Public Affairs website, how UIC news is displayed, and the Public Affairs social media presence were gone over
      • How press releases work and are distributed was gone over
      • When to best contact Public Affairs was mentioned
      • Some examples of successful press releases were shared
      • How Public Affairs interacts with individual colleges was explored
      • Suggested that Public Affairs works closely with communications people to make sure they are sharing information rather than overlapping
      • Asked that researchers contact individual colleges as well as Public Affairs when sharing news
      • Discussion on how researchers can help Public Affairs get stories out
      • Suggested that anyone from the Public Affairs team can be available to explain to groups how to connect with the Public Affairs office
      • Noted that the GSC reports at each meeting what is going on at campus
    • Discussion
      • Discussion on how researchers can be more involved in notifying Public Affairs of upcoming stories
      • The lack of stories from Engineering on the news page was questioned
      • Asked that college-specific news be easier to find
      • Suggested that Public Affairs can build reports based on distribution of news releases
      • Discussion of UIC website and committee concerns about research not being prominently displayed
      • Suggested that the design of the site was decided by a campus committee
      • Suggested that there is a lack of news in general
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Intro
      • Noted that any proposals coming from this committee must align with UIC’s four strategic pillars
    • Data Stewardship
      • Working to organize existing information and work plan from 2014
      • Noted that the original work plan had a high price tag and the subcommittee will work on creating a more incremental approach
      • Suggested introducing the plan as a whole and showing incremental growth
      • Subcommittee asked to include an evaluation piece to show what is done with any funding supplied
    • Research Computing
      • Suggested that increasing the charge of current HPC committee to include other efforts was discussed
      • Asked if the group should rewrite the HPC secure proposal from last year to reflect an incremental approach and resubmit to the council
      • Discussion of difficulties with funding
    • Human Infrastructure/Networking
      • Subcommittee not just considering health related research, but ways to support all researchers on campus
  • New Business
    • Funding and Strategic Planning
      • Noted that there were two themes from last month that were still not addressed – funding and strategic planning
      • Suggested that the subcommittees include potential grant opportunities in their proposals
    • Research Retreat
      • Noted that funding for a retreat was a possibility
      • Discussion of the event, what it should include and how to involve OVCR
      • Noted that the research deans meet regularly
      • Suggested that the event could include brainstorming and idea sharing
      • Suggested setting up a deliberative process, getting data on needs, and determining how to prepare for an event
    • Self-Encryption
      • Noted that ACCC is in the process of purchasing a self-encrypting disc array to allow for protection of high risk data
      • Will be used for storage and virtual machines

Education 11.01.16 Minutes

Attending:

John Fyfe, Marieke Schoen, Nate Phillips, Jon Art, Val Prater, Elizabeth Romero, Martina Bode, Wendy Jeanes, Anthony Marino, Alana Steffen, Mike Kamowski, Julie Fisher, Tim Sullivan, Josh Naylor, Michael Hites, Michael Scott, Kim Richards, Heather O’Leary

  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Personal Computing Devices
      • Noted that there were a few proposals put forward last year and due to a change in leadership, they were not funded
      • Mention of sending one of the proposals forward again
      • Discussion of Innovation Center report and need for greater mobile technology
      • Suggested a possibly need for a group to vet grant submissions
      • Suggested concern was voiced on infrastructure needed for mobile proposal
      • Discussion on possible pilot to determine success and scale
      • Discussion on sending proposal forward again, resulting in committee agreeing to send it
      • IT Governance Council will meet in December to discuss proposals
    • LMS Board
      • Noted that next Blackboard update will be in December, during which time the program will be down
      • Noted that the LMS Board has expanded to include representatives from remote campuses, designers, and infrastructure
      • Discussion on compiling and reporting Blackboard feedback from the campus
      • Suggested to increase effort on educating faculty on what is available to them through Blackboard
      • Noted that there will be a Blackboard workshop in the TLC
    • Instructional Technology
      • Suggested that someone on campus requested a specific change to Qualtrics, and used the form as a model of how to do this
      • Mentioned concerns on Rate and Funding, noting that a report will be brought to the committee in December
  • Standing Reports
    • TLC
      • Information on upcoming workshops was shared
  • Old Business
    • ACCC SLAs
      • The services offered in ACCC’s SLAs were listed
      • The committee was asked for volunteers to review certain services and report back at the next meeting
    • Classroom Design Focus Group
      • Noted that the CLE will be holding a faculty focus group on classroom design

Admin 10.25.16 Minutes

Attending:

Gloria Keeley, Dimuthu Tilakaratne, Joe Patzin, Mint Simagrai, Tony Kerber, Mike Kamowski, Amber Munds, Fernando Howell, Sean Reeder, John Fudacz, Jackie Finch, Jon Santanni, Todd Van Neck, Therese Molina, Jacqueline Berger, Jennifer Rowan, Kathleen Engstrom, Dick Harris

  • Capital Projects Systems
    • Capital Programs
      • The process that went into creating the system was outlined, including an RFI
      • Business process workflows have been being revised and are currently being integrated into the new system
      • The goals for this process were stated
      • Noted that there have been challenges due to Illinois’ procurement structure
      • When questioned how the new system can benefit project clients, a plan on how to share information with users was explained
      • Some features of the new dashboard were outlined
      • Suggested that E-Builder has experience in setting up different dashboards, workflows, and reporting
      • Suggested that a demo could be given to show committee dashboards and receive feedback
      • Noted that this new system is a phased deployment
      • Discussion on how this will improve users’ ability to track and search for projects
      • Discussion on existing process and improvements in the new system
      • Concern voiced about making sure end users’ needs are considered
      • Suggested and discussed that end users want to be involved in projects and decisions made by project managers
  • University Business Process Evaluation Proposal
    • ERP Systems
      • Suggestion that this proposal was started to prepare for the inevitable move to the cloud
      • Benchmarking was questioned and it was suggested to look at other institutions to see what is being done
      • Mentioned that, within the latest evaluation of UA, some performance measures should be considered
      • Suggested that the committee should look into Source To Pay
      • The process of receiving input was described
      • Discussion of concerns about access to data and when/where decisions are made
      • Committee asked to review document
    • AITS Response to Business System Strategy Recommendations
      • Noted that AITS has responded to committee’s recommendations
      • Suggested that this document shows buy in for ideas the committee has been discussing
      • Concern expressed about having an institutionalized process for engagement
      • Discussion on committee concerns on providing input
      • More communication between the committee and others to relay feedback
      • Discussion on how the committee can continue to express need for feedback and how best to gather input
      • Discussion of individual experiences with projects and serious issues that have arisen from lack of information
  • AITS Review
    • Administrative IT Systems
      • Suggested that the president asked the committee to review administrative IT Systems
      • Group has a deadline of end of October to create a report
      • The catalog of services offered by AITS was looked at
      • Suggested that this is an opportunity to reiterate the committee’s recommendations in a different forum
      • Discussion of changes in the past that have moved resources
      • Noted that there is an initial draft report that will be shared with the committee

InfraSec 10.12.16 Minutes

Attending:

Jason Maslanka, Allen Randall, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Kevin Shalla, Ed Zawacki, Frank Cervone, Elizabeth Romero, Andre Pavkovic, Mike Kirda, Marcin Hiolski, Mat Willis, Mark Goedert, Matt Miller, Kevin Price, Vinay Surpuriya, Chris Barton, Lisa Blake, Heather O’Leary, Phil Reiter, Sandeep Dath, Sarah Ritch, Shannon Redden, Ashok Bennett, Ron Fernandez, Therese Molina, Josh Naylor, Dan Pollack, Ilir Zenku, Doug McCarthy, Lalo Camacho,

  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Digital Accessibility
      • High profile evaluation of websites helping to improve accessibility issues
      • Created a subcommittee to work on this
    • Digital Signage
      • Still struggling with Industry Weapon and mapping
    • Risk Assessment
      • Presentation given on state of risk assessment
      • Went over achievements, importance, and future goals
      • Named next steps
      • An HR focused draft of a survey was shown, naming concerns and need to push forward
      • Need for continued follow-up on 2015 Risk Recommendations proposals
      • Discussion of recommendations and status of implementation
      • Noted that there are three priorities the group is focused on
      • Discussion of funding issues
      • Discussion of Nessa’s meeting campus needs
      • Concern expressed about work done on this topic
      • A summarized update was asked for to send to the Provost
      • Suggested that the risk is understood, but the lack of funding is an issue
      • Suggested to create a document to send to Council, Provost, and VCHA
      • Suggested that a possible solution would be to ask HSCs to provide funding for costs of risk assessment
      • The subcommittee was asked to create a document emphasizing work to be done to send to upper administration voicing concern of UIC IT community
    • Security Program
      • Fourth quarter rollout happened at UISOs met yesterday, annual report almost complete
      • Concern expressed about new Qualtrics dashboard and other issues
    • Regional Sites
      • Will have first meeting next week and report to next meeting
  • New Business
    • ACCC Service Level Agreements
      • Presentation on ACCC SLAs given
      • How to work with ITGC to establish SMART SLAs and set expectations was questioned
      • Since currents SLAs were set by service managers, feedback from the InfraSec committee was requested
      • Committee was asked to review the SLAs and send feedback
      • Measuring service performance was questioned
  • Old Business
    • Web Governance Subcommittee
      • First meeting scheduled, will report to InfraSec committee at the next meeting
    • HR Resolutions
      • No new information, Appeals Board delayed
    • Burwood Report
      • Suggested that a revised report has been prepared
      • Burwood rescanned the environment and updated the report
      • Suggested that the report outlines various options
      • Suggested that there will be an update on the strategic plan
      • CDW will be providing a comparative report on the options
  • Projects and Services
    • ACCC Projects
      • Exchange Online is moving along
      • Meetings with units being arranged
      • An overview was given
    • DUO Miltifactor Update and NESSIE
      • Presentation on DUO was given
      • Discussion of communication plan for November 10 deadline
    • Box BAA
      • Contract still being worked on
      • Discussion on a projected goal for completion
  • Chair’s Reports
    • Information Privacy & Security Committee
      • Noted that HIPAA training almost complete, some modifications being addressed
      • Units must submit a survey to determine whether they are under covered entity
    • ITGC Workshop
      • Suggested that workshop was insightful and participants were honest
      • Noted that some faculty members who were not in the ITGC provided different prospective
      • Report will be created by December
  • Discussion Topics & Announcements
    • De-provisioning Disabled Accounts
      • Presentation was given on disabling inactive accounts
      • Discussion of alternative options
    • IPHEC Cloud Projects
      • Suggested that the committee needs to look at details of the contract
      • Suggested to create a discussion group to look at business needs
    • Urbana AWS
      • Noted that Pharmacy had contacted Urbana about a contract issue and has not heard back
      • Urbana will be reached out to in order to see if UIC could be added to contract
    • Security Training Alternatives, “self-phishing”
      • Suggested that there are tools available to train people on how to avoid phishing
    • BCP/DR Educause Presentation
      • Suggested that a number of UIC people attended an Educause webinar on disaster recovery
    • UA Review
      • Suggested that a group had been put together to look at AITS, services provided, and possible improvements
      • Discussion of what final report might include
    • Academic Medical Center IT Forum
      • Members of the committee attended a forum which went over concerns for health-related schools in the Midwest
      • Other members of the committee were encouraged to join

Research 10.06.16 Minutes

Attending:

Annette Valenta, Himanshu Sharma, Colleen Kehoe, Jaqueline Berger, Clyde Wheeler, Teresa Johnston, Andy Boyd, Ugo Buy, Allen Randall, Dick Harris, Heather O’Leary, Bob Sandusky, Min Yang, Sandy De Groote

  • Promoting Research at UIC
    • Overview of the Problem
      • Concern expressed about the reporting of research results
      • Noted that press releases are sent out
      • Suggested that more internal promotion and more prominent research presence on the UIC website are needed
      • Suggested that OVCR has been showcasing research on their website
    • Possible Solutions
      • Suggested that the committee should take action on getting UIC to showcase more research on their website
      • Suggested to look at peer institutions and how they follow up on press releases
      • Suggested that the issue would be brought up to the faculty senate, particularly, the senate research committee
      • Sherri McGinnis Gonzalez will be invited to attend a meeting to discuss press releases
      • Suggested a letter regarding the website be drafted to send to the Provost
  • Open Issues
    • NSF Big Data
      • NSF has come back to UIC for more information
      • Goal to be operational by February
    • NSF Networking
      • Waiting to hear back on proposal
  • Planning for AY17
    • Themes
      • Suggested that the committee return to creating subcommittees
      • Data Stewardship was mentioned as well as the need to finalize the work that has been done
      • A document listing themes for potential charges for subcommittees was shared
      • Next step would be to meet, discuss what can be done, and work through proposal process
    • Data Stewardship
      • Suggested that work from two years ago could be pulled into a proposal quickly
      • Bob Sandusky will chair the subcommittee and pick up where they left off
    • Research Computing Infrastructure
      • Questioned whether or not this should be another subcommittee
      • Noted that there is already a Research Computing Executive board focued on specific projects
      • Suggested expanding the group and/or creating subgroups for other issues
      • Support for digital humanities scholarship will be included in this section
      • Noted that the main problem is outreach
    • Human Infrastructure/Human Networking
      • Questioned whether or not SciVal will be shared with whole campus
      • Noted that a meeting was coming up, but the main issue is funding
      • Suggested that this theme is also about growing a network of people around research topics
    • Issues of Funding
      • Suggested a group brainstorm ideas on how to address funding issues
      • The difficulty of finding participants was noted, as well as the need for representation from across campus
      • Suggested a need to follow up on the HPCC proposal sent forward last year
      • Suggested a faculty-led group to look ahead at grants
    • Strategic Planning
      • A retreat for the committee, deans, and research centers to come together and discuss research needs for campus was suggested
      • Noted that a focus for all groups should be outreach
      • Discussion of potential retreat
  • Open Access Policy
      • Noted that the policy applies to all current Faculty members as defined by the Statutes
      • Aside from NIH, twelve other federal agencies are requiring deposit into open access platform
      • Suggested educating the campus on how to comply
      • Email to be sent out to faculty requesting articles for those who need to comply
      • Noted that faculty can send email to uicindigo@gmail.com or upload immediately to Indigo
      • Waivers can be applied for
      • Discussion of entire procedure and specific concerns