Research 05.04.17 Minutes

Attending:

Henrik Aratyn, Jaqueline Berger, Sara Hall, Colleen Kehoe, Andy Johnson, Bob Sandusky, Michael Hites, Dick Harris, Himanshu Sharma, Allen Randall, Teresa Johnston, Karen Dunn Lopez, Sandy De Groote, Andy Boyd, Min Yang, Heather O’Leary

  • Faculty Activity/Profiling Tool
    • Presentation
      • Noted that the Deans Council set up a task force to look at faculty profiling tools
      • A taskforce on campus looking into faculty profiling tools was presented on
      • Discussion of RFP process and how to select the best tool that meets campus needs
      • Discussion of specific needs the committee would like the tool to meet
      • Further discussion of RFP process
      • Suggested to add community engagement to the list of functions
      • Discussion of quality of data in Banner and need for change in order to have an effective tool
      • Discussion of potential costs of the tool
  • Chair Elect Nominations
    • New Recommendation Need
      • Two nominations have been submitted for Andy Boyd, who is unable to accept
      • The survey will be sent out again, asking for other options
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Research Computing Infrastructure
      • Suggested that UIUC held an event a few years ago which involved holding focus groups across campus
      • Noted that feedback from the campus on a regular basis would be beneficial
      • Improving representation in ITGC Research Committee membership will be worked on over the summer
      • Discussion of how to get researchers involved in cyberinfrastructure decisions
  • Old Business
    • HIPAA Compliant HPCC
      • Noted that a proposal had been submitted to the VCHA, who agreed to provide funding assuming that ACER received certain grants
      • Discussion of funding issues
  • New Business
    • Meetings
      • The committee will not meet over the summer, will resume in September
      • Discussion of membership and the need to revisit over the summer

Research 04.06.17 Minutes

Attending:

Henrik Aratyn, Ugo Buy, Kim Charles, Teresa Johnston, Colleen Kehoe, Richard Minshall, Andy Johnson, Allen Randall, Jacqueline Berger, Himanshu Sharma, Heather O’Leary

  • Reduic.edu
    • Noted that Red.uic.edu has a few bugs, but will be released soon
    • CUPPA will be the first college to publish under the new framework
    • uic.edu should help maintain a consistent look to UIC websites and allow easy changes
    • Noted that the units will manage content
    • Concern was expressed about the number of staff
    • Suggested that the WordPress template streamlines the sites
    • Concern expressed about the main UIC website
    • Suggested that change can occur over time as a part of a collaborative effort
    • Suggested that the homepage will be changed at least once a month
    • Noted that additional resources to support the website will be advocated for
    • Discussion of various options for changing the way the main UIC website looks
    • Noted that the advisory board will continue to meet and make suggestions
    • Whether or not any performance measures had been taken was questioned
    • Noted that the Provost would like all units to be on the Red.uic.edu site
    • Discussion of difficulty of creating a consistent look that allows customization
    • The new CUPPA site will be presented to the Provost on Tuesday
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Research Computing
      • Noted that a one-page summary of the secure HPCC proposal was shared with Dr. Barish
      • Request has been made for matching funds from UIC
      • Funding options were gone over
      • Com Ed and their data analytics group was described
      • It was explained that their data analytics group is studying energy consumption in order to build a better relationship with their customers
      • Noted that Com Ed is looking for a contract of funding research at UIC
      • Discussion of the research network on campus, how the grant will be used, etc.
      • Suggested to send a letter of intention ahead of submitting the grant proposal
    • Human Infrastructure
      • Will be worked on over the summer
  • Old Business
    • RAC Meeting Report Back
      • The meeting was a success
      • There were presentations on research computing and data management and many issues were discussed
      • Suggested to do a computation research day where researchers can present to each other
      • OVCR requested more information
      • The College of Nursing offered to appoint a new member
    • NSF Request for Input
      • Suggested that members of the committee had made important points which were shared with NSF
  • New Business
    • OBFS
      • A new section on how studies with human subjects should be run, which will affect many researchers, was introduced
      • Noted that whenever OBFS changes a policy, they post it for comments for weeks
      • Discussion on how this has worked in the past and what rules/regulations have led to this change as well as how it would be implemented
      • Further discussion of other research policies
      • Concern was expressed for students who conduct research

Research 03.02.17 Minutes

Attending:

Henrik Aratyn, Colleen Kehoe, Bob Sandusky, Rich Minshall, Sara Hall, Teresa Johnston, Himanshu Sharma, Jacqueline Berger, Sherri McGinnis, Allen Randall, Heather O’Leary

  • Public Affairs
    • uic.edu
      • Sherri McGinnis from Public Affairs spoke about the UIC website as well as the functionality of the new red.uic.edu multisite
      • Suggested that the person who oversees the site attend the Research meetings to improve communication
      • Noted that CUPPA is the first college to transition to the new platform
      • Discussion of the sites uses and how to set one up
    • Research on UIC Website
      • Concern was voiced about OVCR not being included in the dropdown menu on the homepage
      • Suggested that the main goal of the site is student recruitment and departments are not included in the dropdowns
      • Discussion on updating the site more frequently and how to better highlight high-level research being done at UIC
    • UIC Today
      • Announced that Public Affairs will be launching an internal website called UIC Today
      • Discussion on what should be included on the main UIC website as well as the possibility of a link between UIC Today and the main site
      • Suggested to email the Public Affairs webmaster with any suggestions on what should be included on the UIC homepage
      • Further discussion of how to update the UIC homepage more often
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Research Computing Infrastructure
      • Noted that Com Ed asked for access to high performance computing
      • Discussion on funding for the cluster
      • Discussion of need for a PI and other concerns about the grant
      • Further discussion of stakeholders and other funding needs
  • Old Business
    • Meeting w/Research Deans
      • Noted that several committee members will be joining a RAC meeting
      • Main goals of the meeting are to showcase what the committee is working on, increase communication, to increase representation on the committee
    • NSF Request for Info
      • Survey results will be compiled and sent for submission

Research 02.02.17 Minutes

Attending:

Henrik Aratyn, Ugo Buy, Teresa Johnston, Bob Sandusky, Colleen Kehoe, Karen Dunn Lopez, Andy Johnson, Sara Hall, Jacqueline Berger, Houshang Darabi, Dick Harris, Michael Hites, Rich Minshall, Annette Valenta, Himanshu Sharma, Laura Nieves

  • Subcommittees
    • Institutional Stewardship of Data
      • No update
    • Research Computing Infrastructure
      • Noted that Dell will supply the new Saber cluster
      • Will take about a month to set up users and systems for use
      • Suggested that Com Ed is interested in funding and using a research cluster at UIC
      • Suggested contacting VCHA about Com Ed’s interest in the cluster
      • An overview was given of the data Com Ed is collecting and analyzing
      • Will be brought up to the IT Governance Council meeting
      • Mentioned that the CDC will be funding research collaborations with universities and corporations and should be considered
      • Suggested that a standard model should be created to handle external charging for use of clusters
      • Recommended to create a grant from Com Ed to reserve space in the cluster
      • Suggested to ensure that resources are being used efficiently and provide training to users
      • Noted that there is data on the number of clusters being used
      • Concern was voiced that the warranty on the existing cluster expires in 2018
      • Will continue discussion on Com Ed
    • Human infrastructure/Human Networking
      • Suggested that the subcommittee needs more direction on its goal
      • Noted that this group is based around creating a human network of services and how to improve service quality
      • Discussion on activities that fall under this group and how to move forward
      • Suggested educating people ay UIC about research
      • Suggested focusing on building an infrastructure for communication
      • Further discussion of collaboration with the library and other groups on campus
  • Old Business
    • Public Affairs
      • Noted that Public Affairs staff will be attending an upcoming meeting to further discuss the presence of research on the UIC website
      • Discussion of bringing research concerns to the attention of the Provost
      • Noted that there are efforts currently to review research related websites and how to improve them
      • Discussion of UIC website and reasoning behind design
  • New Business
    • NSF Request for Input
      • A document was shared in which the NSF is requesting answers to specific questions on research challenges and needs
      • Committee members were asked to send their responses to these questions to be compiled and submitted
      • Mentioned that the library held sessions to get input on research and create a response for the NIH
      • Suggested that this might be a good model for the NSF response
      • Will be reaching out to those who arranged these sessions to see if they would be interested in repeating the process for the NSF
      • Discussion of other researchers who should be consulted
    • ACER Workshops
      • Noted that ACER is starting a series of all-day workshops

Research 01.05.17 Minutes

Attending:

Henrik Aratyn, Colleen Kehoe, Andy Boyd, Pavel Petukhov, Bob Sandusky, Jaqueline Berger, Dick Harris, Himanshu Sharma, Allen Randall, Ugo Buy

  • IT Governance Council Meeting
    • Meeting Recap
      • The Council tabled proposals until February
      • The Council asked for a report listing ITGC requests with ACCC’s basic infrastructure needs
      • Members were asked to rank proposals by importance and resubmit in February
      • Suggested that CCTS is also reviewing the proposal and it has been well received
      • Suggested that if the VCAA and VCHA along with some PIs contributed to the effort, the proposal could be funded
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Institutional Stewardship of Data
      • Noted that an email requesting responses on NIH data sharing was sent out
    • Research Computing Infrastructure
      • Noted that there is an HPCC board that will become the ACER executive board
    • Human Infrastructure/Human Networking
      • Suggested that there are two issues: collecting and disseminating data
      • Noted that there needs to be an effective way of finding out and sharing campus needs
      • Suggested that there should be a form of communication between the committee and research deans in the colleges
      • Suggested finding out what researchers are looking for from the committee as well as how to relay what the committee has done in exchange for feedback
  • Old Business
    • Public Affairs
      • Noted that Michael Redding will attend a future meeting to discuss representation of research on the UIC website
      • Discussion of what Sherri McGuiness Gonzales presented in a previous meeting
  • New Business
    • Introduction of ACER
      • ACCC has formed a new group – Advanced Cyberinfrastructure for Education and Research (ACER)
      • Suggested that the HPCC has been going well as a single point of contact for researchers
      • Suggested that services such as Secure Research Environment, networking, and storage will be expanded under ACER
      • Noted that there will be one email for all researchers to contact
      • Noted that UIC received an NSF Major Research Instrumentation grant to build a new data cluster
      • Currently searching for a vendor to supply the equipment
      • Noted that UIC also received a networking grant for a science DMZ
      • This grant will be used for enhancing the capability of our research network as well allow for more collaboration with other institutions
      • Discussion of need for secure data storage

Research 12.01.16 Minutes

Attending:

Henrik Aratyn, Ugo Buy, Jaqueline Berger, Sara Hall, Houshang Darabi, Laura Nieves, Bob Sandusky, Colleen Kehoe, Annette Valenta, Heather O’Leary, Allen Randall, Phil Reiter, Karen Dunn Lopez, Andy Boyd, Teresa Johnston, Michael Hites

  • Recap of Public Affairs Discussion
    • Committee reviewed last month’s minutes and advice from Public Affairs
    • Emphasized that it is important for researchers to notify Public Affairs as early as possible for potential press releases
    • Mentioned that colleges have communication contacts who can reach out to Public Affairs
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Data Management/Data Curation
      • A presentation recapping the current state of research data management at UIC was shared
      • Initial proposal was not funded
      • Suggested the subcommittee try to re-scope the proposal to get it funded
      • Subcommittee proposing a pilot for PI-facing services OVCR site, a review of open source data repository platforms, implementation of data repository, and integrate with related services
      • Justification of the proposal, consequences of not implementing it, and benefits of the pilot were gone over
      • Volunteer resources and pilot timeline were gone over
      • A potential data repository at the National library of Medicine was mentioned and it was questioned how it would affect the pilot
      • Suggested that the NLM depository could work for high risk data while the campus had its own
      • Suggested that AITS has a research group and other resources available that could be requested through the ITPC proposal process
      • Where UIC stands in compliance with federal regulations and requirements was questioned
      • Noted that this analysis had not been done
      • Suggested that once a service is selected, how it would scale for larger datasets can be determined
      • Funding after grant runs out was questioned
      • Motion to approve, no opposition voiced
    • Human Infrastructure/Networking
      • No proposal as of yet, but it will be worked on over the winter
    • High Performance Research Computing
      • Noted that there are hopes to re-submit last year’s proposal
      • Noted that the cost of the proposal was previously suggested to be scaled down and asked how the committee could accomplish this
      • Noted that there is new storage available in ACCC
      • Questioned whether the request for nodes could be cut back and go forward as a pilot program
      • Concern voiced about cost inefficiency by scaling down
      • Discussion on likeliness of the proposal being funded and consequences to research at UIC if it is not
      • Suggested changing the context of the proposal to make it a priority in terms of keeping UIC competitive in research
      • Noted that the state budget situation had not improved, but that the proposal still needs to be submitted
      • Suggested to include a cover letter on the proposal with the most important justifications
      • Suggested having all involved researchers sign the cover letter voicing support
      • Motion to approve, no opposition voiced
  • Research Retreat
    • The idea of hosting a research retreat and how to create an agenda that will attract research deans and ensure high attendance was brought up
    • Suggested attaching the retreat to the monthly meeting of OVCR and research deans
    • Incentive was questioned and met with asking the research deans what they would like from the committee as well as sharing the committee’s current efforts and asking for help identifying gaps
    • Discussion on how to create an effective agenda
    • Suggested sending out an email ahead of time describing the committee, its accomplishments, and a few directed questions
    • Suggested that a concern is representation of the committee
    • Suggested tailoring the questions from the beginning of the year to fit the retreat
    • Noted a possibility of adding a Google Doc/other option to submit information ahead of time
    • Concern voiced about HIPAA
    • Suggested including information about digital humanities and other tops to include the East side

Research 11.03.16 Minutes

Attending:

Annette Valenta, Houshang Darabi, Allen Randall, Himanshu Sharma, Teresa Johnston, Jacqueline Berger, Clyde Wheeler, Karen Dunn Lopez, Laura Nieves, Henrik Aratyn, Dick Harris, Michael Hites, Sherri McGinnis Gonzales, Cathleen Kehoe, Bob Sandusky, Neil Bahroos, Andy Boyd, Heather O’Leary

  • Public Affairs
    • Presentation
      • A presentation was given on Public Affairs and how the News Letter works
      • The committee was asked to help Public Affairs build a list of experts to have on-hand for interviews and comments to the press
      • Features on the Public Affairs website, how UIC news is displayed, and the Public Affairs social media presence were gone over
      • How press releases work and are distributed was gone over
      • When to best contact Public Affairs was mentioned
      • Some examples of successful press releases were shared
      • How Public Affairs interacts with individual colleges was explored
      • Suggested that Public Affairs works closely with communications people to make sure they are sharing information rather than overlapping
      • Asked that researchers contact individual colleges as well as Public Affairs when sharing news
      • Discussion on how researchers can help Public Affairs get stories out
      • Suggested that anyone from the Public Affairs team can be available to explain to groups how to connect with the Public Affairs office
      • Noted that the GSC reports at each meeting what is going on at campus
    • Discussion
      • Discussion on how researchers can be more involved in notifying Public Affairs of upcoming stories
      • The lack of stories from Engineering on the news page was questioned
      • Asked that college-specific news be easier to find
      • Suggested that Public Affairs can build reports based on distribution of news releases
      • Discussion of UIC website and committee concerns about research not being prominently displayed
      • Suggested that the design of the site was decided by a campus committee
      • Suggested that there is a lack of news in general
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Intro
      • Noted that any proposals coming from this committee must align with UIC’s four strategic pillars
    • Data Stewardship
      • Working to organize existing information and work plan from 2014
      • Noted that the original work plan had a high price tag and the subcommittee will work on creating a more incremental approach
      • Suggested introducing the plan as a whole and showing incremental growth
      • Subcommittee asked to include an evaluation piece to show what is done with any funding supplied
    • Research Computing
      • Suggested that increasing the charge of current HPC committee to include other efforts was discussed
      • Asked if the group should rewrite the HPC secure proposal from last year to reflect an incremental approach and resubmit to the council
      • Discussion of difficulties with funding
    • Human Infrastructure/Networking
      • Subcommittee not just considering health related research, but ways to support all researchers on campus
  • New Business
    • Funding and Strategic Planning
      • Noted that there were two themes from last month that were still not addressed – funding and strategic planning
      • Suggested that the subcommittees include potential grant opportunities in their proposals
    • Research Retreat
      • Noted that funding for a retreat was a possibility
      • Discussion of the event, what it should include and how to involve OVCR
      • Noted that the research deans meet regularly
      • Suggested that the event could include brainstorming and idea sharing
      • Suggested setting up a deliberative process, getting data on needs, and determining how to prepare for an event
    • Self-Encryption
      • Noted that ACCC is in the process of purchasing a self-encrypting disc array to allow for protection of high risk data
      • Will be used for storage and virtual machines

Research 10.06.16 Minutes

Attending:

Annette Valenta, Himanshu Sharma, Colleen Kehoe, Jaqueline Berger, Clyde Wheeler, Teresa Johnston, Andy Boyd, Ugo Buy, Allen Randall, Dick Harris, Heather O’Leary, Bob Sandusky, Min Yang, Sandy De Groote

  • Promoting Research at UIC
    • Overview of the Problem
      • Concern expressed about the reporting of research results
      • Noted that press releases are sent out
      • Suggested that more internal promotion and more prominent research presence on the UIC website are needed
      • Suggested that OVCR has been showcasing research on their website
    • Possible Solutions
      • Suggested that the committee should take action on getting UIC to showcase more research on their website
      • Suggested to look at peer institutions and how they follow up on press releases
      • Suggested that the issue would be brought up to the faculty senate, particularly, the senate research committee
      • Sherri McGinnis Gonzalez will be invited to attend a meeting to discuss press releases
      • Suggested a letter regarding the website be drafted to send to the Provost
  • Open Issues
    • NSF Big Data
      • NSF has come back to UIC for more information
      • Goal to be operational by February
    • NSF Networking
      • Waiting to hear back on proposal
  • Planning for AY17
    • Themes
      • Suggested that the committee return to creating subcommittees
      • Data Stewardship was mentioned as well as the need to finalize the work that has been done
      • A document listing themes for potential charges for subcommittees was shared
      • Next step would be to meet, discuss what can be done, and work through proposal process
    • Data Stewardship
      • Suggested that work from two years ago could be pulled into a proposal quickly
      • Bob Sandusky will chair the subcommittee and pick up where they left off
    • Research Computing Infrastructure
      • Questioned whether or not this should be another subcommittee
      • Noted that there is already a Research Computing Executive board focued on specific projects
      • Suggested expanding the group and/or creating subgroups for other issues
      • Support for digital humanities scholarship will be included in this section
      • Noted that the main problem is outreach
    • Human Infrastructure/Human Networking
      • Questioned whether or not SciVal will be shared with whole campus
      • Noted that a meeting was coming up, but the main issue is funding
      • Suggested that this theme is also about growing a network of people around research topics
    • Issues of Funding
      • Suggested a group brainstorm ideas on how to address funding issues
      • The difficulty of finding participants was noted, as well as the need for representation from across campus
      • Suggested a need to follow up on the HPCC proposal sent forward last year
      • Suggested a faculty-led group to look ahead at grants
    • Strategic Planning
      • A retreat for the committee, deans, and research centers to come together and discuss research needs for campus was suggested
      • Noted that a focus for all groups should be outreach
      • Discussion of potential retreat
  • Open Access Policy
      • Noted that the policy applies to all current Faculty members as defined by the Statutes
      • Aside from NIH, twelve other federal agencies are requiring deposit into open access platform
      • Suggested educating the campus on how to comply
      • Email to be sent out to faculty requesting articles for those who need to comply
      • Noted that faculty can send email to uicindigo@gmail.com or upload immediately to Indigo
      • Waivers can be applied for
      • Discussion of entire procedure and specific concerns

Research 09.01.16 Minutes

 

Attending:

Sarah Hall, Dick Harris, Jacqueline Berger, Michael Hites, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Bob Sandusky, Dibyen Majumdar, Teresa Johnston, Clyde Wheeler, Himanshu Sharma, Colleen Kehoe, Annette Valenta, Heather O’Leary, Andy Boyd, Allen Randall,Secure HPCC Proposal

 

  • Big Data
      • An informational group has been formed to look at “big data” at UIC
      • A listserv was created and potentially interested people have been invited
      • Members were encouraged to subscribe and invite others
      • A need for administrative support for grant writing as well as a mechanism to support the growth of this group was expressed
      • Requested that the list of talks along with an invitation to the listserv be sent to the committee
  • Direction of the Committee in 2017
      • Members were asked to fill out a worksheet listing their priorities from a list of items
      • Recommendations will be compiled and brought for discussion at the next meeting
  • Research Computing
    • NSF MRI Award
      • Noted that a NSF MRI grant has been awarded for HPCC and another is being worked on for networking
      • A presentation on the success of the NSF grant was given
      • Discussion of fee for service rate structure
      • Discussion on how to announce HPCC progress
    • HPR Network Grant
      • A second proposal was submitted to build a high performance research network
      • Requirements and how to implement were gone over
      • Noted that through this network other local institutions would be able to access our HPCC
  • NIH Data Science Curriculum Development Grant
      • Noted that there is funding available under the BDK2 Education grant for coming up with curriculum on Big Data
      • Discussion on how to utilize this grant and who should be involved
      • Discussion of profiling tool and issues related to budget
  • ACCC Virtual Server Response Time
      • Suggested that there have been issues with response time
      • Suggested that service level agreements are being created and will be made public
      • Discussion of concerns related to time for tenure track faculty

Research 05.05.16 Minutes

Attending:

Ugo Buy, Andy Boyd, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Henrik Aratyn, Jacqueline Berger, Barbara Corpus, Min Yang, Coleen Kehoe, Ed Zawacki, Andy Johnson, Michael Hites, Daniel Touchette, Karen Dunn Lopez, Neil Bahroos, Dick Harris, Heather O’Leary

  • ACCC Rate and Funding Plan
    • Concern was expressed about the effect of self-sustaining services on research
    • ACCC is changing to a plan that charges units by FTE for a basic bundle
    • Suggested that the bundle includes services that everyone on campus needs
    • Discussion on which services would be covered by this new plan
    • Discussion on encryption costs and options
    • Suggested that the ITGC push for a central solution
    • Further discussion of other self-sustaining services that may affect research
  • New Business
    • Bandwidth Limitations on Internet Use by Faculty
      • Suggested that 6GB of bandwidth per day limit did not suffice all research faculty members
      • Suggested that exceptions can be made if faculty members request to be added to the unlimited bandwidth program
      • Suggested that, in the fall, the committee set up a mechanism for members to disseminate relevant information to their colleges
    • Institutional Support for Sharing Research Data
      • Concern was voiced about having support for sharing data and how to maintain these services on campus
      • Further discussion on best practices in sharing data and how the committee should address the issue
    • High Performance Computing Cluster Proposal
      • Suggested that the provost liked the proposal, but cannot fund it
      • The committee will continue to search for funding