Education 12.06.16 Minutes

Attending:

Val Prater, Martina Bode, Ernie Duran, Michael Scott, Saul Weiner, Annie Armstrong, Marieke Schoen, Michael Siciliano, John Fyfe, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Jon Art, Anthony Marino, Mike Kamowski, Alana Steffen, Kim Richards, Heather O’Leary, Michael Hites

  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Personal Computing Devices
      • Noted that the Mobile Learning Initiative grant proposal had been approved by the council last year, but not funded
      • Subcommittee plans to resubmit this year
      • Some updates to the proposal are being worked on and will be ready by December 7th to send to the council
      • Discussion of TLC involvement in the proposal
      • Motion to approve, no opposition voiced
    • LMS Board
      • The board reevaluated the data on student and faculty use of Blackboard and a spreadsheet with raw numbers is available in Box
      • It was suggested that, according to the data, many users did not know how to use Blackboard
      • Suggested that a number of things in Blackboard need to be updated
      • Discussion on analyzing Blackboard and the best way to move forward
      • Discussion of the non-standardization of Blackboard sites, how templates could be supplied, and faculty reaction
      • Noted that a major Blackboard security update has been pushed back
  • Standing Reports
    • TLC
      • 39 teaching scholars were selected to be matched with a mater teaching scholar as a mentor
      • Mentioned that course evaluations have gone out and are now closed
      • Reports will be released to faculty on December 15th
      • Noted that the TLC has been hosting a number of workshops and conversations
      • New resources now available on the website
  • Old Business
    • ACCC SLAs
      • Noted that a number of SLAs from ACCC have been asked to be reviewed by the committee
      • Members commented on a spreadsheet of each service
      • Suggested that there could be a number of different response times depending on the severity of a situation
      • Noted the difficulty of getting data out of the Request Tracker ticketing system
      • ACCC working to address this difficulty
      • Noted that resolution times are measurable, response times are not
      • Once data is available, response windows can be adjusted
      • Suggested to introduce a troubleshooting forum where users can look for help
      • More details on what each service is, what problems people may be encountering, and support available was asked for
      • Proposed having an experienced user “certification” showing one knows how to troubleshoot and get a faster response time
      • Suggested including a service status page as one troubleshooting step
      • Noted that there are services where ACCC is troubleshooting a problem but there are standard services where there is no problem
      • Suggested that there are “service requests” vs. “incidents”
      • Feedback will eventually be shared
    • ITGC Assessment
      • Last survey went out
      • Working on compiling all feedback into a report of recommendations
    • TechTeach
      • Noted that there were about 150 attendees
      • Feedback was very positive
      • Planning committee met afterwards to brainstorm ideas for increasing attendance
      • Suggested for future conferences to consider inviting outsiders to present sessions
      • Suggested to have more TLC involvement
      • Discussion of bringing in outside attendees as additional revenue stream
      • Further discussion of possible half-day conference
      • Suggested to hold hands-on working sessions in afternoon

Education 11.01.16 Minutes

Attending:

John Fyfe, Marieke Schoen, Nate Phillips, Jon Art, Val Prater, Elizabeth Romero, Martina Bode, Wendy Jeanes, Anthony Marino, Alana Steffen, Mike Kamowski, Julie Fisher, Tim Sullivan, Josh Naylor, Michael Hites, Michael Scott, Kim Richards, Heather O’Leary

  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Personal Computing Devices
      • Noted that there were a few proposals put forward last year and due to a change in leadership, they were not funded
      • Mention of sending one of the proposals forward again
      • Discussion of Innovation Center report and need for greater mobile technology
      • Suggested a possibly need for a group to vet grant submissions
      • Suggested concern was voiced on infrastructure needed for mobile proposal
      • Discussion on possible pilot to determine success and scale
      • Discussion on sending proposal forward again, resulting in committee agreeing to send it
      • IT Governance Council will meet in December to discuss proposals
    • LMS Board
      • Noted that next Blackboard update will be in December, during which time the program will be down
      • Noted that the LMS Board has expanded to include representatives from remote campuses, designers, and infrastructure
      • Discussion on compiling and reporting Blackboard feedback from the campus
      • Suggested to increase effort on educating faculty on what is available to them through Blackboard
      • Noted that there will be a Blackboard workshop in the TLC
    • Instructional Technology
      • Suggested that someone on campus requested a specific change to Qualtrics, and used the form as a model of how to do this
      • Mentioned concerns on Rate and Funding, noting that a report will be brought to the committee in December
  • Standing Reports
    • TLC
      • Information on upcoming workshops was shared
  • Old Business
    • ACCC SLAs
      • The services offered in ACCC’s SLAs were listed
      • The committee was asked for volunteers to review certain services and report back at the next meeting
    • Classroom Design Focus Group
      • Noted that the CLE will be holding a faculty focus group on classroom design

Education 09.06.16 Minutes

Attending:

Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Michael Hites, Tim Sullivan, Annie Armstrong, Val Prater, Sandy Yingling, John Fyfe, Anthony Marino, Elizabeth Romero, Josh Naylor, Wendy Jeanes, Marieke Schoen, Michael Scott, Mike Kamowski, Nate Phillips, Alana Steffen, Julie Fisher, Sharon Dyer, Jon Art, Mat Willis, Mark Goedert, Heather O’Leary

  • Subcommittee Reports
    • LMS Governance Board
      • It was noted that the LMSGB has approved a decision to archive courses up to 2013
      • Courses will be stored in order to remain compliant for the remainder of the contract with Blackboard
      • Suggested that members of the board will go out to each department to speak to faculty about Blackboard
      • Concern was voiced about the price of storage in Blackboard compared to market rate
    • Basic Principles
      • Suggested that the subcommittee began by putting together basic principles for teaching which have been posted to the TLC website and will be used in the TechTeach Conference
      • Noted that a meeting is scheduled with the TLC to discuss updating the site in the future
      • The LTS is working with the TLC
      • The history of TLC effort from the ITGC Education Committee was gone over
    • Instructional Technology
      • Noted that the TechStarter idea was presented to the InfraSec Committee over the summer
      • Work is being done to create rubrics with TechStarter from another institution
      • A summary of the TechStarter initiative was given
  • Standing Reports
    • TLC
      • The TLC has been set up on campus, separate from the Education Committee
      • An overview of the teaching scholars program was gone over
      • ACCC LTS will be offering workshops in partnership with the TLC in the future
  • Old Business
    • TechTeach
      • Noted that the TechTeach conference is coming up and proposals are due soon
      • Committee members were asked to encourage others to submit proposals
      • Noted that Alison Doubleday has been selected as the keynote speaker
    • ITGC Assessment
      • Suggested that there have been meetings with Health Affairs to determine how to include them within the ITGC
      • Noted that the survey results are being compiled to share with the committees
  • New Business
    • Preferred First Name
      • Suggested that the three student councils requested preferred first names
      • AITS developed an implementation plan
      • Since the soft launch in July, there have been about 4,00 name requests
      • Preferred names will be displayed in the directory, Banner, Blackboard, etc.
    • Class Scheduling
      • Noted that the class scheduling system is being replaced with a new application
    • ACCC SLAs
      • A presentation on Service Level Agreements coming out of ACCC was given
      • Maintenance windows posted on the ACCC website were also gone over
      • Since current SLAs are based on ACCC resources, these SLAs will be reviewed and adjusted based on feedback
      • The SLAs will be published to the ACCC service catalog
      • Concern was voiced about agreement and input from users
      • Suggested that there will be an ongoing discussion of the SLAs and the need for changes
      • Requested that the committee review these documents and send feedback
      • The results will be shared with the committee
      • Suggested to have this review done by March to be included in the campus budget process
    • CIO Updates
      • The Rate and Funding plan has been implemented
      • The new billing system has been set up to handle the new plan but there are issues that need to be addressed
      • Printing from off campus to on campus printers has been disabled using a VPN
      • A new dual authentication system is being set up for anyone trying to change their information in Nessie due to phishing attacks
      • The IAM project will be implemented at UIC in October
      • Discussion on how password changes will affect users
    • Student Digital Online Experience
      • A proposal will be submitted to get a group together to discuss the future of student digital online experience
      • Discussion on how the student experience could be improved

Education 05.03.16 Minutes

Attending:

Elizabeth Romero, Anthony Marino, Tim Sullivan, Anne Armstrong, Valerie Prater, Michael Hites, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Max Anderson, Dave Taeyaerts, Alana Steffen, Marieke Schoen, Alison Doubleday, Blase Brown, Mike Kamowski, Matthew Lineberry, Nate Phillips, Michael Scott, Saul Weiner, Abbas Hyderi, Jon Art, Heather O’Leary

  • Subcommittee Reports
    • LMS – Approval of New Charge –
      • There was a presentation on an updated purpose and charge for the LMSGB
      • Suggested that a summary of LMSGB activities be included in ITGC annual report
      • An edit was suggested
      • Charge was approved by the committee with no opposition voiced
    • Basic Principles
      • Committee is working to have something to share by the end of May, projected completion of project is August 15
    • Instructional Technology
      • The model will be presented to the ITGC InfraSec committee and will report back at the next meeting
  • Standing Reports
    • TLC
      • Discussion of funding concerns and structure of TLC community
      • Further discussion of measuring satisfaction through surveys
      • Suggested that the TLC consider including health and professional programs in the future
      • Committee discussed how the program might improve
      • A request was made that a summary of the feedback from the committee be brought to the TLC
  • Old Business
    • Shared Network Drives
      • Suggested that OneDrive is a solution and is being tested in student lab now
      • Asked that Google Drive also be considered as an option, as it is being promoted to students
  • New Business
    • Adaptive Learning Platforms
      • Suggested that COM and Dentistry get together to discuss their separate adaptive learning platforms and whether they should be centralized
      • Suggested that adaptive learning is a topic that the committee should be discussing
      • Presentation on the College of Dentistry and problems faced by faculty
      • The college created a pilot in RealizeIt for blended learning and assessment
      • A demo in Blackboard was gone over
      • Discussion of costs and potential for expanding to other colleges
      • Discussion on how this application compares to SoftChalk
      • Presentation on Osmosis
      • A demo of Osmosis and how it promotes student learning was gone over
      • Noted that there were some challenges with the software, but it has been successful
      • Suggested that these systems might be subjects for the TechStarter process to share services and could be used to test framework
      • Discussion on how/when TLC should be involved in potentially implementing these applications
      • Further discussion of these tools

Education 04.05.16 Minutes

Attending:

Valerie Prater, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Michael Scott, Annie Armstrong, Michael Hites, Dave Taeyaerts, Mike Kamowski, Elizabeth Romero, Jon Art, Dean Dang, Nathan Philips, Abbas Hyderi, Heather O’Leary, Saul Weiner, Alana Steffen

  • Subcommittees
    • LMS Governance Board
      • A mission statement was created to clarify the LMSGB’s charge and reporting structure
      • Discussion of original charge and how it relates to the new mission statement
      • Discussion of priorities and purpose of the board
      • Further discussion on problems that have occurred which were related to Blackboard
      • Committee agreed that the LMSGB should be looking into the issue of reviewing Blackboard
      • Suggested bringing the new charge to the committee at the next meeting for a vote
  • Standing Reports
    • TLC
      • Noted that the advisory group will be attending a celebration of the teaching scholars
  • Old Business
    • ITGC Education Committee Elevator Speech
      • Edits were suggested and updates will be made
      • Speech will be presented to other committee chairs for follow up
      • A consulting exercise to address concerns with governance is being worked on
  • New Business
    • Shared Drives
      • A presentation was given
      • Sharing options were compared and contrasted
      • Discussion on creating FERPA compliant groups and security
      • Discussion on mapping drives and different options
    • Virtual Student Research Poster Presentations
      • Suggestions were asked for on how students could present remotely
      • Talking to the OVCR was suggested, using the distance student as a pilot to report back to the committee
    • Nomination of Chair Elect
      • Nominations are coming up
      • Nomination requests will be sent out

Education 03.01.16 Minutes

Attending:

Valerie Prater, Anthony Marino, Alana Steffen, Tim Sullivan, Elizabeth Romero, Michael Scott, Dave Taeyaerts, Josh Naylor, Saul Weiner, Nate Phillips, Mike Kamowski, Eric Gobel, Abbas Hyderi, Heather O’Leary

  • Subcommittee Reports
    • LMS Governance Board
      • The committee’s suggestions were reviewed by the board
      • A more in-depth analysis of LMS options was discussed
      • Rather than just modifying the survey, more people are trying to be incorporated into the analysis
      • The LMS will set a plan and report back to the committee
    • Instructional Technology Services and Support
      • A presentation on the status of this group was shared
      • A meeting with TechStarter on their program took place and feedback was given
      • The slimmed down version of the submission form was shared, suggesting it be shared on the ITGC website
      • It was asked whether the form should be expanded to cover non-instructional technology requests, in which case volunteers from the other ITGC committees would be requested
      • It was asked that core IT staff be included in the review committee
      • It was suggested that the evaluation rubric be set before proceeding
      • Discussion on how to fund approved proposals
      • It was suggested to include a comparison to existing services on the rubric
      • A meeting with TechStarter will be held to get help creating the rubric and it will be brought back to the committee
      • The other committee chairs will be emailed about the proposal
    • Personal Computing Devices
      • An updated version of the proposal was shared for approval of next steps
      • Discussion on how current faculty can use SRS in their classes
      • A motion to approve renewal of licenses for another year with amendments was approved
    • Standing Reports
      • TLC
        • TLC is not ready to send a representative to the committee
        • Discussion of teaching scholars, recruitment, and how to improve communication from the TLC
        • The Basic Principles subcommittee is continuing to provide support to the TLC and will have an update for the next meeting
    • Old Business
      • Elevator Speech
        • An updated version of the elevator speech with input from the committee was presented and reviewed and feedback was given
        • The speech will be revised and sent out to the other chairs, asking to do a similar exercise with their committees
    • New Business
      • Problems with Specialized Files
        • A concern regarding shared computers on campus was voiced
        • Specialized files are being used and downloaded to campus computers rather than placed in campus-supported cloud storage solutions causing maintenance problems and difficulties for students trying to find lost files
        • It was suggested that someone from the ACCC present on the pros and cons of “roaming profiles” at the next meeting

Education 02.02.16 Minutes

Attending:

Jon Art, Valerie Prater, Michael Scott, Dave Taeyaerts, Marieke Schoen, Elizabeth Romero, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Tim Sullivan, Mike Kamowski, Michael Hites, Anthony Marino, Saul Weiner, John Fyfe, Eric Gobel, Nathan Phillips, Alana Steffen, Heather O’Leary

  • Subcommittees
    • LMS Board – Report on LMS Evaluation
      • The chair of the LMS Governance Board broke the committee into three groups
      • One looked at current use, gathered statistics, and what features are being used
      • Another group looked at other options with and without Blackboard
      • The last looked at how other institutions have gone about changing from one LMS to another
      • All of these subcommittees reported back to the board
      • A survey will go out to all of the Blackboard course instructors
      • Some discussion has been had of concerns about implementing change
      • After the survey, the board will hold focus groups to get greater detail
      • Questions for the survey were gone over as well as hopes for results
      • Discussion on how existing data might be used in getting feedback as well as on the actual questions
      • Board elected to hold an assessment before considering a new LMS
      • Process of archiving Blackboard courses has begun
    • Basic Principles
      • An update was shared which outlined the plan to delegate tasks related to the TLC website
    • Personal Computing Devices
      • The outcomes section of the proposal was gone over
      • A pilot involving students and faculty was run and followed by a survey
      • The survey provided some data and the overall response to the SRS was positive
      • Suggested that the subcommittee create a recommendation to send to the TLC
    • Standing Reports
      • TLC
        • The TLC granted 41 grants to faculty and are putting on workshops
        • The ITL is supporting courses for the TLC
      • Elevator Speech
        • Draft
          • A new draft of the elevator speech was presented
          • The committee provided feedback for editing the draft which will be reviewed

Education 01.05.16 Minutes

Attending:

Janette Maldonado, Nate Phillips, John Fyfe, Valerie Prater, Josh Naylor, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Michal Scott, Carol Kamin, Michael Hites, Alana Steffen, Dave Taeyaerts, Elizabeth Romero, Mike Kamowski, Marieke Schoen, Andre Pavkovic, Lee Katman, Abbas Hyderi, Ray Curry

  • Subcommittee Updates
    • Basic Principles
      • A group has been put together that have agreed to be advisors of the continuing update of content on the TLC site, through the end of this academic year
      • They will report back at the next meeting
    • Instructional Technology
      • A summary of what had been done by this subcommittee was given, concluding in a form to submit requests
      • Previous discussion of the form had returned that the form is too lengthy and actions have been taken to scale it down in order to encourage people to submit and to work on a process of reviewing submissions
      • The next action is to reconvene the committee and to present an update at the March meeting
      • Members were encouraged to share any ideas that could be used to pilot the form
    • Standing Reports
      • TLC
        • TLC is working to add a representative to the committee
      • LMS Board
        • An archive process has been approved for old courses
        • A meeting with RIMS to discuss record retention has occurred There was discussion on how long students may contest grades
        • It was stated that Blackboard records will be stored indefinitely, whereas Echo360 will store records for four years
        • The subcommittee is looking to create a group which will determine what constitutes a record, how long it should be kept, etc.
        • Syllabi policies exist, but none for any other instructor created materials
        • Specific items in the medical schools that should also be tracked/archived were also mentioned
      • Old Business
        • IT Governance Role/ Elevator Speech Exercise
          • The committee was asked to come up with a thirty second “elevator speech” explaining what the ITGC Education Committee does, its value, etc. which should be able to be easily communicated throughout campus when asked about the committee
          • After working in groups, the committee reached a consensus that it is for providing input rather than creating a strategic plan
          • A final draft of the speech will be created
        • New Business
          • Inter-Campus Instruction
            • A presentation from the College of Medicine on their inter-campus IT needs was given
            • The main concern is finding an effective way to communicate between UIC and Urbana while Urbana creates a separate medical school and reconsiders technology options
            • Discussion of working with the other ITGC committees in order to bring about better communication with Urbana
            • Further discussion on this subject occurred

Education 12.01.15 Minutes

Attending:

Valerie Prater, Elizabeth Romero, Szymon Machajewski, Anthony Marino, Annie Armstrong, Mike Kamowski, Dave Taeyaerts, Michael Scott, Babette Neuberger, Carol Kamin, Alana Steffen, Marieke Schoen, Scott Smith, Lisa Randal, Saul Weiner, Michael Hites, John Fyfe, Heather O’Leary
  • Updates
  • TechTeach 2015
    • The TechTeach Conference was a success
    • Student Center East worked out great as a venue
    • Attendance numbers and survey results will be shared at January meeting
  • Subcommittees
    • Basic Principles
      • Following discussion with Faculty Affairs, it was suggested that this subcommittee be responsible for updating Basic Principles for Teaching with Technology content on the TLC website.
      • It was suggested that an initial meeting be held for establishing guidelines.
      • Clarified that the Education Committee are not operational owners of site, and involvement of the subcommittee will be limited to current academic year
      • Discussion followed of TLC representation on the Education Committee (member slot is open) and current vision vs. that originally proposed.
    • Personal Computing Devices
      • Web-based SRS survey results should be available soon, to be shared at next meeting
  • Standing Reports
    • LMS Board
      • Work is being done to improve system performance
      • Description provided of planned course archiving process; no courses to be deleted
      • Storage issues discussed. Questioned whether the ITGC Administration Committee be consulted on document management, suggested that RIMS be involved
  • Old Business
    • ITGC Role
      • Discussion and planning continues as to next steps in assessing committee role
      • Suggested that roles in strategy, policy, and operations be outlined, that control objectives be stated and discussed
  • New Business
    • Blackboard Road Map
      • Representatives of Blackboard provided a presentation on Blackboard Ultra; differences between new and old Blackboard interface and plans for rollout were discussed

Education 10.06.15 Minutes

Attending:

Anthony Marino, Himanshu Sharma, Mike Kamowski, Dave Taeyaerts, Michael Scott, Annie Armstrong, John Fyfe, Francis Schlemmer, Tim Sullivan, Nathan Phillips, Saul Weiner, Josh Naylor, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Val Prater, Elizabeth Romero, Janette Maldonado, Abbas Hyderi, Alana Steffen

 

  • TechTeach
    • The conference is coming up on November 17
  • Subcommittees
    • Basic Principles
      • Reviewed Teaching & Learning Center website
      • Suggestion that there should be more communication and work on maintaining and updating the site
      • Subcommittee asked to continue on in advisory role for TLC
    • Personal Computing Devices
      • Four training sessions done with faculty and staff at start of Semester
      • 45 total faculty, 20 are actively using Poll Everywhere in the pilot
      • 220 polls conducted
      • Timeline for semester is to compile an assessment survey and send out in November, with goal to get notes back and present final report in December
    • Instructional Technologies
      • Charged with creating a form for anyone on campus to submit a request for new systems and services
      • Committee reviewed the draft form
      • Discussion of how to prioritize requests, how process would work
      • Looked at other schools, such as Iowa’s techstarter, which uses crowdsourcing
      • Will follow up with Iowa to find out more about management and resources
      • Suggestion to start as prototype form, then tweak as time passes
      • Will edit form and present to committee
      • Discussion of addressing purview of ITGC committees and how remote campuses might be included
  • Standing Reports
    • Learning Management System
      • Group continuing to evaluate use of Blackboard on UIC campus
      • In October, will discuss findings, and report back to Education in November
  • Old Business
    • Plan for November Meeting
      • Discussion of having presentation to committee on IT governance structure
      • Suggestion that there needs to be more discussion before training occurs
      • Urbana restructured IT governance structure
      • Suggestion that committee needs to work on operational vs. strategic objectives
  • New Business
    • Data Governance Committee
      • Committee has been put on hold due to considerations on whether it should be campus specific or at an enterprise level
    • Preferred Names
      • Group is putting into effect a process to allow students to selected preferred first name in Banner, on rosters, on iCards
      • Implementation template is going through ITPC currently
    • High Performance Computing Cluster
      • Presentation on HPCC and Big Data at UIC
      • HPCC exists, but Big Data would be a service provided by HPCC
      • Overview of history, current state, and impact of HPCC
      • Presentation on new mission regarding research and curriculum
      • Important for UIC to begin working to secure grants to support Big Data