InfraSec 01.11.17 Minutes

Attending:

Gene Fruit, Lisa Blake, Jason Maslanka, Sandeep Dath, Marcin Hiolski, Chris Barton, Kevin Price, Frank Cervone, Mark Goedert, Jelene Crehan, Janet Shaw, Ian Huggins, Mike Kirda, Bala Ramaraju, Vinay Surpuriya, Jackie Kern, Doug McCarthy, Allen Randall, Lalo Camacho, Matt Miller, Heather O’Leary, Josh Naylor, Ernesto Reyna, Ashok Bennet, Ron Fernandez, Phil Reiter, Dan Pollack, Therese Molina

  • Discussion Topics
    • UIUC Shared Services
      • Power Planted started in May 2015 with goals of making IT as ubiquitous as electricity
      • Started by focusing on a few main services, then put together a high level requirements gathering team, then the solutions team took over
      • The process for considering how to meet user needs and coming up with realistic solutions was outlined
      • A Power Plant Advisory Group is heading the effort on reaching out to users and working with IT Governance to make decisions and keep everyone informed
      • The status of a few services they are working on were gone over
      • Discussion on process for finding best solutions and occasional outsourcing
      • Further discussion of funding models, noting that each service is different
      • Questioned whether the Power Plant is working with UIC and UIS to consider services shared between campuses
      • Noted that they are working to hire project managers to engage more with other campuses
      • Concern expressed about services in Urbana
      • Concern also raised about governance in Urbana not getting enough input from users at UIC
      • Suggested that there needs to be a discussion about end goals of services
      • Suggested having regular communication between campuses as new services are developed
    • UI IT LT Share Services Governance
      • A presentation on the Shared Services Governance Group was given
      • Noted that this group focuses on services shared across the university system while Power Plant focuses just on UIUC
      • The charge of the group, who is involved, and how they make decisions on services were also gone over
      • The tasks the group has done as well as how to go about creating an operational level agreement was outlined
      • The shared services website and current services offered were also gone over
    • Shared Services Discussion
      • Discussion of how to better work on creating shared services and reducing replication
      • Further discussion of how shared services are needed in this budget climate
      • Suggested that it is acceptable to have another campus/unit run a service, so long as there is some guarantee of reliable service and ongoing communication
      • Suggested that there are three models: units host their own services, a well-funded central unit supplies services, and shared governance maintains a balance between the first two
      • Suggested that governance is currently ineffective
      • Suggested that the committee should be involved in creating a vision for IT services
  • Subcommittee Reports
    • Digital Accessibility
      • Working on the giving.uic.edu page to improve accessibility
    • Risk
      • A risk cycle is coming up, an assessment survey will be sent out to campus
    • Security
      • Fifth quarter roll out will be coming soon, delay in original timeline
    • Regional Sites
      • Did not meet last month, Rockford will be hosting ACCC on January 27
  • Old Business
    • HR
      • No further updates
    • Burwood Report
      • WTC will send their documents with initial numbers for review
      • A draft report from CDW was received, waiting on the final
      • There will eventually be a guiding document on how to go forward with unified communications
  • Project/Service Updates
    • ACCC Updates
      • Exchange kickoff meetings with every unit have been being scheduled
      • A plan of action for once all migrations are completed is being worked on
      • Committee was asked how holdouts should be handled
      • Suggested cutting off services to those who do not migrate
    • VPN
      • There is a current project to find a commercial VPN solution
  • Chair Report
    • uic.edu
      • The new WordPress website platform is still not functional, should be available in January
  • 2017 Challenges and Goals
    • Discussion
      • Committee was asked to consider their current challenges and goals for units
      • A report from ACCC about what services are coming in the next 18 months was asked for
      • Committee members shared goals and challenges
      • Discussion on how to better share services between units and when to go ahead with an internal solution
      • Noted that there is a need to move decisions forward more quickly
      • Suggested that the ITGC should set timelines on specific services for decisions to be made
      • Further discussion of priorities set by InfraSec and how to get them addressed and funded
      • Noted that the ITGC assessment process is almost complete
      • A report of recommendations will come out and will be shared with the Provost and Chancellor, they will decide how to move forward
      • Suggested that there should be a greater effort on created shared services