Education 10.06.15 Minutes

Attending:

Anthony Marino, Himanshu Sharma, Mike Kamowski, Dave Taeyaerts, Michael Scott, Annie Armstrong, John Fyfe, Francis Schlemmer, Tim Sullivan, Nathan Phillips, Saul Weiner, Josh Naylor, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Val Prater, Elizabeth Romero, Janette Maldonado, Abbas Hyderi, Alana Steffen

 

  • TechTeach
    • The conference is coming up on November 17
  • Subcommittees
    • Basic Principles
      • Reviewed Teaching & Learning Center website
      • Suggestion that there should be more communication and work on maintaining and updating the site
      • Subcommittee asked to continue on in advisory role for TLC
    • Personal Computing Devices
      • Four training sessions done with faculty and staff at start of Semester
      • 45 total faculty, 20 are actively using Poll Everywhere in the pilot
      • 220 polls conducted
      • Timeline for semester is to compile an assessment survey and send out in November, with goal to get notes back and present final report in December
    • Instructional Technologies
      • Charged with creating a form for anyone on campus to submit a request for new systems and services
      • Committee reviewed the draft form
      • Discussion of how to prioritize requests, how process would work
      • Looked at other schools, such as Iowa’s techstarter, which uses crowdsourcing
      • Will follow up with Iowa to find out more about management and resources
      • Suggestion to start as prototype form, then tweak as time passes
      • Will edit form and present to committee
      • Discussion of addressing purview of ITGC committees and how remote campuses might be included
  • Standing Reports
    • Learning Management System
      • Group continuing to evaluate use of Blackboard on UIC campus
      • In October, will discuss findings, and report back to Education in November
  • Old Business
    • Plan for November Meeting
      • Discussion of having presentation to committee on IT governance structure
      • Suggestion that there needs to be more discussion before training occurs
      • Urbana restructured IT governance structure
      • Suggestion that committee needs to work on operational vs. strategic objectives
  • New Business
    • Data Governance Committee
      • Committee has been put on hold due to considerations on whether it should be campus specific or at an enterprise level
    • Preferred Names
      • Group is putting into effect a process to allow students to selected preferred first name in Banner, on rosters, on iCards
      • Implementation template is going through ITPC currently
    • High Performance Computing Cluster
      • Presentation on HPCC and Big Data at UIC
      • HPCC exists, but Big Data would be a service provided by HPCC
      • Overview of history, current state, and impact of HPCC
      • Presentation on new mission regarding research and curriculum
      • Important for UIC to begin working to secure grants to support Big Data