InfraSec 01.14.15 Minutes

Attending:

Phil Reiter, Phil Weiler, Ugo Buy, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Ed Zawacki, Brian Ng, Frank Cervone, Allen Randall, Mark Goedert, Dean Dang, Sandeep Dath, Yilmaz Bal, Marcin Hiolski, Ashok Benet, Sarah Ritch, Craig Jackson, Jason Maslanka, Mike Kirda, Andre Pavkovic, Kevin Shalla, Lisa Blake, Therese Molina, Chris Barton, Bala Ramaraju, Kevin Price, Jay Dean, Michael Yates

  • Information & Discussion
    • UIC Branding
      • Overview of last month’s discussion on new campus branding
      • Implementation process is beginning
      • Discussion of font costs, licenses, new logos, and color choices for departments
    • ITGC Research Committee Update
      • Updates on High Performance Computing Cluster include a need for machines to be replaced
      • Update on Center for Clinical and Translation Science data
      • Debate on process of IRB protocol related to CCTS data and the Virtual Machine infrastructure
      • Discussion of HPCC staffing, lifecycle, and funding issues
    • Request for Improved Virtual Private Network
      • There have been issues with VPN the past two months
      • Members have been asked to appoint someone to address these issues
    • Bylaws Update
      • In December, the bylaw amendment was approved
    • State Audit
      • Recent audit of financials regarding terminating access to employees who leave
      • AITS is working on improving the access termination process
      • HR will review back-dated terminations
  • ACCC Updates
    • O365
      • Discussion of timeline and department expectations
      • Discussion of current situation regarding vendor selection for migration
      • Project has not been fully funded, security should be increased
      • Concerns over migration, potential problems with discontinuing Google Apps
      • Priorities will be re-examined in light of budget issues
    • Network and Secure Storage
      • No existing projects
      • Implementation of storage project from summer should close in February
  • Information and Discussion Continued
    • Advising Solution in Exchange
      • Concern over people in departments using scheduling software for personal calendars instead of Exchange
    • Telecom Updates
      • Group is looking to get feedback from Cisco on advancing unified communications on campus
      • A group has been set up to look into automated attendance/automatic call distribution for campus
    • IT Strategic Plan/Rate and Funding
      • Briefing on status of strategic plan and funding issues
      • Some funding has been provided to improve wireless across campus for the next three years
      • Discussion of network priorities, the rate plan
      • Imminent meeting between ACCC, WTC, and budget office to address issues
    • Document Management
      • Description of proposal for implanting Laserfiche
      • Implementation has begun, pricing/costs have not been set
      • Proposal was brought to ITGC, but tabled pending InfraSec vote
    • HR
      • Discussion of issues regarding hiring and maintaining IT talent
      • Wide consensus that hiring is an issue for departments
    • UIC Budget
      • Discussion of how the university’s budget cuts will affect IT
      • Discussion on the number of available services and how to address them
    • Active Directory
      • Discussion of the new process, changes from the old method
      • Consideration of how to combat difficulties that may arise
    • Security
      • 3 outstanding assessments will be closed out if not completed by set deadline
  • Voting
    • Electronic Document Management
      • Approved Motion: Motion to send proposal forward was approved
    • Accessibility
      • Approved Motion: Motion to send proposal forward was approved
    • Training
      • Suggestion that a section be added to proposal process for how to manage the training process once it is implemented