Education 12.02.14 Minutes

Attending:

Saul Weiner, Michael Scott, Michael Kamowski, Heather O’Leary, Dave Taeyaerts, Annie Armstrong, Elizabeth Romero, Janette Maldonado, Val Prater, Eric Gobel, Cynthia Herrera Lindstrom, Lindsey Stolley, Francis Schlemmer, Michael Hites, Al Schorsch, Michael Prais, Abbas Hyderi, Carol Kamin

  • Opening Remarks
    • Introduction of new committee members
    • Overview of agenda for January breakout subcommittee meetings
  • LMS Governance Board
    • Overview
      • Upgrade to Blackboard happening Dec 19-20th
      • Information Technology Lab has done testing and is prepared
  • Topics from Public Health
    • Degree Audit Review System
      • UIC is looking to use this undergraduate service with graduate students as well
      • Issues with staffing and maintenance on the original system, time-consuming
      • Suggestion of putting a group together to define scope, priorities, & next steps
      • Discussion of UAchieve in conjunction with DARS graduate plans
    • Course Evaluation Questionnaires
      • Overview of TK20: purpose, assessment use, and course evaluation use
      • TK20 offers more customizable questions
      • Faculty Affairs is looking to pilot this, yet there is a need for a high end administrator because it cannot be given directly to one college
      • Discussion of launching a Public Health pilot separate from current evaluation
  • Subcommittee Discussions
    • Basic Principles
      • Next step is to develop a website
      • Suggestion to include feedback from TechTeach and create a blog
    • Instructional Technologies Services and Support
      • Next move is to create a process for people on campus to propose new technologies
    • Personal Computing Devices
      • Mobile Learning group is waiting to see if funding is secured
      • Will work on Request for Proposal at January meeting
      • The Student Response System group stated pilot is currently in hands of the Information Technology Lab
      • The ITL is researching various student response systems and reporting back to Education committee with recommendation
  • Plan for January Meeting
    • Structure
      • Committee will meet for half hour as a whole, then break into subcommittees
    • New Business
      • Suggestion to share meeting minutes in a more approachable way
      • Discussion of options for communicating to campus
      • Suggestion to send out information through regular emails or a blog
      • Discussion of ‘strategic uses of lecture capture’
    • Parting Thoughts
      • Currently searching for new director of School of Continuing Studies
      • Discussion of tuition-related concerns
      • An FYI to ITGC listervs was sent out about upcoming NetID conflicts